Gardening by the Moon?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyone else interested in this? anyone know anything about this? It sounds really interesting.

I found this site on it;

http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/

I tried ordering the calendar for my season but they seem to be having technical problems because the purchase won't go through.

Any one going to try this for 2010 growing season?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Blackbird,

I did this last year. I got my calendar from a larger grocery store chain's gardening section. If anything, it helped me stay on track. I had my very first, lovely "big girl" garden too.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Is this different than the farmer's almanac? I thought that had all that stuff in it?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Barb, I checked them out.

I don't know if it is like a Farmer's Almanac, I need to do more info.

edit;
I meant I need to do more RESEARCH. Lol. My mistake.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BB, I bought the PDF version of the Long Season Pacific Coast - the next 10 months (March thru December) for $1 each. I liked the way they were laid out easily for me to see & understand, and I like that I can print them and keep them in a notebook. I thought about the Almanac, and I checked out the websites people recommended... & decided to just go for it.

edited to remove a wayward letter "f" lol

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The Farmer's Almanac always has articles on it. The have where the moon is in the tables too, but that info is pretty crowded.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, the Farmer's Almanac covers this as well, but since they try to congest it all into a small booklet, it can be hard to read at times. But I am fairly certain this is how the Farmer's Almanac gets it's dates and calenders organized. These websites are probably more easily read and concentrate more readily on the lunar cycles and their effects on plants and animals.

I think it's amazing that the moon has so much effect on earthly things. I think more research should go into it, some think it's gravitational pull and others feel it has to do with light cycles.

But even with people who are fairly detached from their natural world, are still very much effected by the moon. Some call it coincidence or superstition, but you can just look at the numbers and more babies are born(induced and surgical, don't count, lol) around certain cycles or the moon. Many animals spawn on certain cycles of the moon, so why not learn and take advantage of this natural phenomenon in your garden. It makes you wonder, if we put more scientific study into the lunar cycles and their effect on plants; how we could apply it to growing crops and other plants on a large scale. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
Yes, the Farmer's Almanac covers this as well, but since they try to congest it all into a small booklet, it can be hard to read at times. But I am fairly certain this is how the Farmer's Almanac gets it's dates and calenders organized. These websites are probably more easily read and concentrate more readily on the lunar cycles and their effects on plants and animals.

I think it's amazing that the moon has so much effect on earthly things. I think more research should go into it, some think it's gravitational pull and others feel it has to do with light cycles.

But even with people who are fairly detached from their natural world, are still very much effected by the moon. Some call it coincidence or superstition, but you can just look at the numbers and more babies are born(induced and surgical, don't count, lol) around certain cycles or the moon. Many animals spawn on certain cycles of the moon, so why not learn and take advantage of this natural phenomenon in your garden. It makes you wonder, if we put more scientific study into the lunar cycles and their effect on plants; how we could apply it to growing crops and other plants on a large scale. :)
And this is where the temr "lunatic" came from. many people's moods etc are affected bythe moon. (lune=moon in french) My sis works with mentally and physically handicapped children. she says they give out more meds during a full moon. the moon definitely has an effecto n many things.