Gardening by the Moon?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well how cool it that?!

I'll take lunatic as a compliment from now on.

I definitely agree Kim, more research!

Now if I can get this darn calendar ordered..

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I had a vet that wouldn't castrate horses duing a full moon. He said they bled too much.

I did a bit of research and came up with this tidbit of info:

Do Scientists Believe the Moon's Phases Affect Blood Flow
A: Well, one scientist certainly did. Much like Yoda, Austrian physician Franz Mesmer (1734-1815) believed that an invisible force pervaded everything in existence, and that disruptions in this force caused pain and suffering. But Mesmers ideas would have been of little use to Luke Skywalker.

His basic theory was that gravity of the moon affected the bodys fluids in much the same way it caused ocean tides, and that some diseases accordingly waxed and waned with the phases of the moon. The dilemma, then, was to uncover what could be done about gravitys pernicious effects. Mesmers solution: use magnets. After all, placing magnets on certain areas of a patients body might be able to counteract the disruptive influence of the moons gravity and restore the normal flow of bodily fluids.

Surprisingly, many patients praised the treatment as a miracle cure, but the medical community dismissed it as superstitious hooey, chalking up the successes to the placebo effect. Mesmer and his theories were ultimately discredited, but he still left his mark. Today, hes considered the father of modern hypnosis because of his inadvertent discovery of the power of suggestion. In fact, his name lives on in the English word mesmerize.
Good to know if you ever go on Jeopardy. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Maybe we should take the moon's phases more seriously...

Moon's phases ARE linked with epilepsy after all, say scientists
By Mail On Sunday Reporter
Last updated at 10:04 PM on 21st November 2009

Superstitions about the influence of the Moon on the brain and, in particular, on epilepsy and seizures, have been around for centuries, but according to new research there may be something in them after all.

Researchers discovered that the number of epileptic seizures - which are related to electrical activity in the brain - goes down when the Moon is at its brightest.

They examined the record of seizures in a dedicated epilepsy unit, in which every seizure in each 24-hour period is logged for all patients.

The researchers compared the timing of each seizure with the brightness of the Moon. Their results showed that during the brighter phases of the Moon's cycle there were fewer epileptic seizures in the corresponding 24-hour period.

'These findings suggest that epileptic seizures are less likely to occur on brighter nights,' says Dr Sallie Baxendale of the Institute of Neurology at University College London, who led the study.
Experts believe the effect of the hormone melatonin, which is secreted only at night and in the dark, may be implicated in triggering seizures.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ed-epilepsy-say-scientists.html#ixzz0fLylWFnQ

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I liked my moon calendar b/c it gave you many different opportunities to say, trim back your hydrangeas, or put carrots in the ground. In other words, there wasn't a "closed window" effect if you missed the date.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've tried this and it works....and my granny swore by it and she always had a great, lush garden. I use the Almanac for my lunar schedule for planting also.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i always though all the lunacy was a buncha hooey... until i had a job where i worked with the general public. and then i realized to brace myself on the full moon.

then i moved out here and wow.... crazy things happen. first everyone goes nuts, then all the critters get all hoppy-aroundy, but the craziest thing i saw was when our two momma ducks were at least 5 days apart for their hatch, but both of them hatched on the nearest full moon. it was amazing.

i'm a big fan of the almanac.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You should see what happens to a classroom full of 3 and 4 year olds on the full moons. Crazy kiddos!

They are very sensitive to barometric pressure too. Houston's summers were full of daily, dynamic tropical storms...:rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nothing tops the psych ward, the ER and the nursing homes when it comes to full moon activity! :rolleyes: Definitely has an affect! :/

One night I walked into a nursing home in which I worked and it sounded like I had walked into a jungle...there were so many different yelps, calls, noises that I had to emit a few of my own just to give it the full effect! :D The other nurses were NOT amused.... :smack

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we just give into it and start howling at the moon.. gets the dogs going and then all heck breaks loose...