Gardening by the Moon?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I used to scoff. Years of working with "at risk" and handicapped kids and I too am a firm believer!! Look how the moon effects the planets water. It is a big effect.

I am a believer in "March Madness" as well.

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Moon planting is something I have looked at briefly, but not yet had much time to get into it fully.

However, we have lots of brush and trees on our land, the trees we sometimes cut for fence posts, now according to the locals here, you should always cut trees 3 days before through 3 days after the full moon.

Otherwise you wood will rot very quickly.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I liked my moon calendar b/c it gave you many different opportunities to say, trim back your hydrangeas, or put carrots in the ground. In other words, there wasn't a "closed window" effect if you missed the date.
Where did you get your moon calender? We haven't gotten a calender for this year yet, so now that I'm thinking about it, I think I would like a wall calender. I'm off to google. :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Let me know what you find Kim! You might want to try the link I posted on the first page and see if it will work for you.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I googled and searched for a good 15-20 minutes, I couldn't find a nice wall calender that I wanted. The one in the first link was closest to what I wanted. I wanted a moon gardening wall calender, but at the same time, I wanted one with pretty pictures. LOL

So, I think next time I'm out and about, I'll just pick up a calender to my liking and a farmer's almanac and just transfer the info I want.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yea, I guy at chuch about flipped that I didn't get my potatoes in the ground. He said I had to do it by Valentines Day.

by my calculations, I should do it the first two weeks of March.
(2-4 weeks before last frost, which is April 15)

am I wrong?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Around here the rule is taters in by St. Patricks Day! :)

Heck my ground is still snow covered today and I am not that much farther north of you.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!!

that makes so much more sense, besides, I've heard that phrase before.

what are some of the other sayings?

I'm planning on Pumpkins on the Fourth of July.

there's one about corn being up to your knees?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, I want my big girl garden now. It will be a couple of years before Adam and I have our own place and can start tilling up the backyard. LOL

Tilling the soil in our yard is nigh impossible, because when the in-laws first bought the place it looked like someone took a bulldozer to a trailer park in the backyard. So instead of spending a couple of years picking it up and then paying a landfill fee, the father in law just buried it all. :rolleyes: So you can't even dig a hole for a post and NOT pull up a red brick or shingle or two. So our veggie garden is restricted to a 4X10 raised garden. :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
big brown horse said:
I liked my moon calendar b/c it gave you many different opportunities to say, trim back your hydrangeas, or put carrots in the ground. In other words, there wasn't a "closed window" effect if you missed the date.
Where did you get your moon calender? We haven't gotten a calender for this year yet, so now that I'm thinking about it, I think I would like a wall calender. I'm off to google. :D
I got my little booklet at a grocery chain up here called Fred Meyer. It is a big grocery store with a garden section and they also sell clothes.

It isn't a wall calander, but it is small enough to sit on my night stand. I liked to thumb through each night before bed.

Latest posts