Gardening Section?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
With gardening being so important to self sufficiency, might we be able to finagle a specific gardening topic area? Just a thought.

BTW, this has to be one of the best resources (if not THE best) on the web for anyone wanting to be more self sufficient. Thanks for all of the time and effort that you put into this!

Mark

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Rob has set up The Easy Garden for all that, just click on the link below and join up there.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think it is a fair request. I understand if there are concerns about redundancy with the easy garden forum, but I also think some people may prefer the format here (the personalities and the similar agendas) and some might not necessarily want to join the easy garden. JMO, not trying to be a PITA. :) I'd like to hear what others have to say. . . .

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can see both sides really. A lot of the info is redundant but gardens for those of us who are or are trying to be ss have a little different emphasis although in these economic times I guess even the hobby gardeners are probably trying to get more produce per square foot. Most of the time the Gardening sites are inundated with the flower growers, at least EG has those posts separated out.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a member of TEG and there is good information over there.

However, I would like have a garden section here. Nothing like over there, something more simple, where we can share things with people with like minds, or at least somewhat similiar minds ;)

Just my 2 cents.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have considered going over and using TEG, but to be honest. I have been cutting back on the number of online groups that I am a member of. I have been so busy around the "homestead", now that Spring is here, that I barely have time to visit this group as often as I like.

However, I can understand the resistance to having the redundancy.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
If we could have one, I think it would be fun to call it "The Community Garden Patch." :D OK, I'll shut up now. ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think people of the SS mind set do things a bit differently as well. I would much prefer all advice in one location. It's just to hard to be everywhere.
my .02

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Please, don't anyone take this personally!!!

I am always a bit confounded by the resistance to belonging to the whole family of BYC/TEG/SS forums. It's one-time signup and then a simple click to go between the forums. Rob is trying to avoid redundancy within the forums, and making Rob's job easier is our (as moderators) goal. I keep the same log-in name for all forums I belong to, so it's pretty seamless for me to go from one to another. I am also a moderator at all three (no, I'm not on Backyard Cows, there's no chance I'll ever own a cow, unfortunately. Goats - maybe, if only to see hubby's eyes roll to the back of his head :gig).

That being said, if someone wants to ask a gardening question here it'll get answered - just don't expect a special spot for those questions. Take them to The Easy Garden and stick to just the Fruits and Vegetables forum, if that's all your interested in. Resist the temptation to read the other forums and you shouldn't be spending any more time online than if you were just here.