Gardening Section?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
If and when there were to be a gardening section here, I would hope it would be confined to vegetable gardening specific to homesteading and self-sufficiency. I can see the need and point, but don't want the redundancy of a full-blown 'garden forum' here on SS.
In my original post, the thought of flowers and other non-edible plants was never intended. My intent was only those things directly related to self sufficiency.

Quail_Antwerp said:
How about a "Growing your own food" section instead of a garden section??? That would leave it open enough to discuss all aspects of growing our foods from meats to veggies to fruits...I think vegetable gardening/farming would fit well into there, as would raising rabbits, pigs, cows, etc for meat.
Quail, your suggestion of a "Growing your own food" would seem, at least to me, as a logical part of a forum such as this. Of course, I've learned that what may seem logical to me, is seldom the "norm". :rolleyes:

I'm already a member of BYC, but I seldom visit there any more as this group is more in keeping with my interests. I may join TEG, but I try not to join groups that I don't have the time to be an active participant in. I will never have a cow (except when I see the receipts from my wife's shopping).

So I guess that I'll just hang out here on SS. That way at least my wife gets a break from me aggravating HER.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Excellent idea, Quail! A category for growing one's food is perfect and is inclusive for those of us who are trying to do that with animals and veggies/fruit. :)

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree. Self sufficiency in growing food is definitely a different angle that just gardening.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
I agree. Self sufficiency in growing food is definitely a different angle that just gardening.
Yes, and how to make fertilizer, gardening with poultry ;)

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I vote for a Growing Your Own Food section too. I'm a new member here and I like finally finding a Self Sufficient forum that fits my personality.

That being said, growing food and raising animals are THE topic for me...I hope that this board will consider including some of the most imperative skills that the self suficient need to develop (and in a hurry considering our economy...):rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
My vote is with Quail too. Maybe if we called it "providing" our own food, it wouldn't necessarily have to be about gardening or animal husbandry?