Gardening Section?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I'm not on Backyard Cows, there's no chance I'll ever own a cow, unfortunately. Goats - maybe, if only to see hubby's eyes roll to the back of his head :gig).
:lol: Oh, make his eyes roll back!!! Then post a picture! It is so much fun to make them sigh that big ol' sigh, then get sucked right in to the new project, or at least watch from the sidelines with pride....then the eyes still roll back for the next project! Don't they ever learn, just say "yes, dear" and life will be so much easier..... :gig

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
That being said, if someone wants to ask a gardening question here it'll get answered - just don't expect a special spot for those questions.
Ok

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with the concept of the one-stop-shopping for categories like farm animals and gardening on this site. SS, by nature, is very diverse and, we SSers, by nature, are frugal with all things...our time included. Simplifying life is practically our byline so, even though I belong to all the forums, I like being able to use this one for all things pertaining to SS.

Of course, any difficult, hard-core questions about chickens or gardens would be referred to the sister sites, but for just general gardening info on a homesteading scale or chickens as they pertain to a food source (which we all know can get a little sticky to discuss on the BYC), it would be nice to have a category besides "Everything Else Self-Sufficient".

I guess the need to have a clear cut heading and a simple mode of accessing previous postings in the same vein without having to do a general search and getting posts that just have the words in them....

Well, you get the picture! The other sites are pretty specific....chickens and all subjects related to, cows~ditto, gardens~ditto....but SS? Too multifaceted to limit to the small number of categories now available.

Just a thought.......or two..... :hide

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for always posting your ideas and feedback but also respecting the decisions that we make.

This was just recently a discussion on BYC (adding a gardening section) which will never happen. :D

We also aren't planning on adding a gardening section here, but I'll say that the idea would be a slightly better addition here than it ever would be at BYC. The staff will take it under consideration for potentially adding in the future, but I'm not making any promises on any changes / additions anytime soon (i.e., DON'T NAG! ;) )

Thanks again for the ideas and for the great participation on this forum. We've been impressed with the growth and the fact that this forum / community is beginning to become a site that can "hold its own."

:thumbsup

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Nifty said:
The staff will take it under consideration for potentially adding in the future, but I'm not making any promises on any changes / additions anytime soon (i.e., DON'T NAG! ;) )
CAN WE HAVE A GARDEN SECTION NOW!!! ;)
Jsut kidding. Thank you (and the staff) for considering it.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I belong to TEG, BYC sites and have no problem switching around. I think the links at the bottom of the pages to enable this are a great feature. It's as easy as looking at different threads on here.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If and when there were to be a gardening section here, I would hope it would be confined to vegetable gardening specific to homesteading and self-sufficiency. I can see the need and point, but don't want the redundancy of a full-blown 'garden forum' here on SS.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly!

Like I said, we're not going to make any changes any time soon and if we ever do, it would be with the full intention not to detract from what we have here or at TEG.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
How about a "Growing your own food" section instead of a garden section??? That would leave it open enough to discuss all aspects of growing our foods from meats to veggies to fruits...I think vegetable gardening/farming would fit well into there, as would raising rabbits, pigs, cows, etc for meat.

Could even have topics on foraging like for mushrooms, dandelions, nuts, etc.

Just an idea.

No offense intended to those who want a gardening section, but I'm not into planting flowers that much....but on that note, did you know that Lilly's are edible? and you can make flour from Cattails? ;)