Gardening with Infants?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks above and beyond slings? How do you get a garden put in the ground when you have a high energy infant who won't take regular or long naps? :barnie

I'm stressed out already just thinking about it.

Oh, yeah, I've been missing from the forum for a few months because I had a baby!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:ya

:weee

Congratulations! :D

As for baby, a portable playpen might be necessary if you actually expect to plant anything ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:D

Thanks Wifezilla! :)

We have a portable play pen, but he doesn't much like it. :p Maybe if there is blue sky above it he will like it more? :) He does much prefer to be outdoors already . . . just like his mom. But this cold winter weather is a drag.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
:D

Thanks Wifezilla! :)

We have a portable play pen, but he doesn't much like it. :p Maybe if there is blue sky above it he will like it more? :) He does much prefer to be outdoors already . . . just like his mom. But this cold winter weather is a drag.
Maybe try the type that is just a fence?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This may be a little too "old school" for you, but my MIL used to have these harnesses for her two youngest. When she hung out the wash, the lead on the harness would get hooked on a clothes line string. They could run around but not take off :D

Oh WOW! Just did a google search. Apparently they are "in" again! LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!!! :)

You may have to modify your garden expectations (or find someone to watch the baby for you sometimes). Most of what not-hugely-lots veg gardening I did when mine were babies was done when we came home in the car and they were still asleep. I would detach the car seat from the car, tiptoe to the garden, put the seat and sleeping baby in the shade (with mosquito net over it during the relevant months), and madly do as much as I could before he woke up. I learned to keep gloves and tools out at the garden for easy access at any time :p

I also got *some* done with baby in carseat (awake) next to garden, singing to him as I worked. Some days I could get twenty or thirty minutes out of this before the novelty wore off or a poo happened or hunger descended or other infant calamities. Twenty or thirty minutes to do whatcha need to do is a pretty good solid block of time with a new baby, LOL

Mine wasn't much for playpens either btw. He was great in a sling but I could never figure out how to kneel/bend to garden with a baby in a sling. Maybe it can be done, but not by me. I did practically everything ELSE during the day with him on my hip or lap or in a sling, though!

Good luck, have fun, sleep when you can and don't worry too much about gardens (there's always another year for tomatoes but babies are only babies *once*) :),

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:lol: The leashes are something my parents used to threaten me with.

I suspect he will be crawling during planting season, but not yet walking.

I'll have to look up the fence type of play pen. I need to see what all my options are.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Congratulations!!!!!! :)

You may have to modify your garden expectations (or find someone to watch the baby for you sometimes). Most of what not-hugely-lots veg gardening I did when mine were babies was done when we came home in the car and they were still asleep. I would detach the car seat from the car, tiptoe to the garden, put the seat and sleeping baby in the shade (with mosquito net over it during the relevant months), and madly do as much as I could before he woke up. I learned to keep gloves and tools out at the garden for easy access at any time :p

I also got *some* done with baby in carseat (awake) next to garden, singing to him as I worked. Some days I could get twenty or thirty minutes out of this before the novelty wore off or a poo happened or hunger descended or other infant calamities. Twenty or thirty minutes to do whatcha need to do is a pretty good solid block of time with a new baby, LOL

Mine wasn't much for playpens either btw. He was great in a sling but I could never figure out how to kneel/bend to garden with a baby in a sling. Maybe it can be done, but not by me. I did practically everything ELSE during the day with him on my hip or lap or in a sling, though!

Good luck, have fun, sleep when you can and don't worry too much about gardens (there's always another year for tomatoes but babies are only babies *once*) :),

Pat
Nix the sling! A wrap is the answer!
Slings are for dressy wearing, not working ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
patandchickens said:

:lol: I agree about gardening with a sling. I find doing a lot of things with a sling is difficult. It's sort of like being pregnant with a giant baby. It is easier to get things done when not carrying all that weight and bulk around.

Good advice, Pat. Especially about them being young once.

Oh . . . Bubblingbrooks . . . I have a wrap but haven't used it much as he's gotten older . . . it sort of squishes him up against me and seems uncomfortable for him. He was crying every time I tried to put him in it. :/ I thought it would be a good idea too, but I think he only liked it when he was newborn. :/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I could never get a homemade wrap to work. Heaven knows I tried. Perhaps should have broken down and bought a commercial version, but the ring sling was so great for practically all my other needs it never seemed worthwhile. Possibly I'm just stupid :)

Pat