Gardening with Infants?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used a play pen when mine were little. As he gets a bit older and can entertain himself with toys and rattles he will be content.

Especially as it warms up.

I also have a sandbox right near my garden so when they became toddlers that's where they went.

:idunno

Congratulations by the way. Any snugly, smooshy, baby pictures???

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I could never get a homemade wrap to work. Heaven knows I tried. Perhaps should have broken down and bought a commercial version, but the ring sling was so great for practically all my other needs it never seemed worthwhile. Possibly I'm just stupid :)

Pat
Not at all! There is a reason there are so many versions of wraps, slings and carriers on the market.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Girl, what you need is a papoose! :gig

When he is a todder, design a play yard--fenced in.

I told you over and over how I wheeled my bassinet all over hell's half acre with Sam sleeping inside. :gig By the time she was too big for it, it was toast.

Congrats on the new little one, do you know how hard it was for me to keep that secret for so long? I'm the world's worst at keeping secrets. :p

Drake has a duckling! :)

I think you should share some pictures!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If the fence play pen is what I'm thinking it is, they work great. We used to take one w/us when we went camping when our DD was little. We'd stick a tarp down on the ground since it was all dirt, and we had no idea what might be there. Then, we'd put a bunch of toys in the area. (Never had to use it while gardening, I was always up early enough to work in it b4 she awoke.) And, she'd play in there quite contentedly. I don't know how many people we had stop by and comment on what a good idea it was. This worked quite well until she learned she could climb it. :/

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
you don't wanna know what i thought reading the thread title.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
abifae said:
you don't wanna know what i thought reading the thread title.
You weren't the only one with the non-traditional though:
- how deep are they planted,
- how should they be spaced, etc.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey DM!!! there you are!! congrats!!! yay!!!

um.. cant you just put the baby in the wheelbarrow?? ha! just kidding.

:)

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My little one is 9 months so I was wondering about this myself. I was thinking of taking her on a trip to grandmas a couple of times a week. But I love the fence idea and the clothesline leash too. I'm a historical re-enactor. And I know of one couple that would tie a rope around their sons waist and stake him on the lawn like a little puppy. Sounds cruel but he looked content and it kept him away from the fire while his parents were getting dinner ready. :lol: A bit extreme but, I thought I'd share.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I know a lot of folk who do similar things. Dunno why it would be considered cruel. Just give them shade and a bowl of water ;)