Gardening with Infants?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live to garden and couldn't quit if I tried. My neighbor got on my case for crawling around in the garden when I was 9 mo. pregnant and bombarded me with ol' wives tales. :D

My little girl was very "high needs" when she was an infant and wouldn't let me get too far away from her in the garden. There was no putting her in a playpen nearby and trying to do anything--she would scream like I was killing her. My best solution was to call Nana--often! If you don't have that option, my other was to put her on a blanket right next to me and give her a flower or something to play with. (For a really small baby who can't sit up yet, a bouncer works well too, very lightweight and portable). She was never bad about putting things in her mouth, so I don't know if that would work for everyone. :p

To me, gardening was therapy to ward off postpartum blues and stress (well, for all kinds of stress really). Must...pull...weeds!!! :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
abifae said:
I know a lot of folk who do similar things. Dunno why it would be considered cruel. Just give them shade and a bowl of water ;)
:ep :lol: Abi, you almost made me choke w/this reply! :lol:

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2nd the baby leash/harness idea! I had one for my son, and it was great! Love the idea of attaching to the clothsline. And not necessarily for gardening, but MIL talks about watching her Mom keep the babies in the house "in place" (boys, back in the day when all babies wore dresses at first) by picking up the leg of the table and setting it down on the skirt part in between the ankles/calves. That way baby had wiggle room, but couldn't actually go anywhere!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We had one of those vibrator bouncy seat things and I would put my DD in that strapped in, in the shade and take her out with me. I could count on about 20-30 minutes before she wanted out.

How about a xl dog crate? :lol:

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
We had one of those vibrator bouncy seat things and I would put my DD in that strapped in, in the shade and take her out with me. I could count on about 20-30 minutes before she wanted out.

How about a xl dog crate? :lol:
:yuckyuck :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Anyone have any tricks above and beyond slings? How do you get a garden put in the ground when you have a high energy infant who won't take regular or long naps? :barnie

I'm stressed out already just thinking about it.

Oh, yeah, I've been missing from the forum for a few months because I had a baby!
A back carry with a mai tei is a good solution, IMO. So is a doggie ex-pen (bigger, better than a kiddie playpen.)

Think baby in a backpack - works for older babies and toddlers. http://kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html#anchor_243

But other than that.... my parents used a wheelbarrow full of corn feed as a playpen for my sister when they were out in the barn.... just sayin'....

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey DM!!! there you are!! congrats!!! yay!!!

um.. cant you just put the baby in the wheelbarrow?? ha! just kidding.

:)
Thanks OFG. We have a red wagon for him, but I'm guessing he won't be comfortable in that, as is, until he's a little older. :p

Yeah, it has been hard keeping the little one a secret.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I live to garden and couldn't quit if I tried. My neighbor got on my case for crawling around in the garden when I was 9 mo. pregnant and bombarded me with ol' wives tales. :D

To me, gardening was therapy to ward off postpartum blues and stress (well, for all kinds of stress really). Must...pull...weeds!!! :lol:
I hear ya! Thanks for the suggestions! I am lucky that Grandma lives close and is willing to help me when I need to garden. But since I also live to garden, I'm sure there will be times when I just have to get outside and work when no one is around to help.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
tortoise said:
But other than that.... my parents used a wheelbarrow full of corn feed as a playpen for my sister when they were out in the barn.... just sayin'....
I like that.