Gas prices today...

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We're at around 4.49 a gallon.
If no new oil has been shipped in since Ike hit, there really is no need to raise the prices.
Even if new gas has been sent in, it's probably from foreign countries anyway.
The oil companies use hurricanes as an excuse to jack up the prices.
P.S. the simple life, where are you located?
We're coming over to get cheep oil! lol

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
"If no new oil has been shipped in since Ike hit, there really is no need to raise the prices. Even if new gas has been sent in, it's probably from foreign countries anyway. The oil companies use hurricanes as an excuse to jack up the prices."

Actually the current price increase in gas has nothing to do with the cost of the oil. It's all due to refining. Ike caused 20% of the entire gasoline production (refining) in the US to come to a stop. When that happened, the wholesale price of gas jumped.

In the seventies, Johnny Carson joked about a toilet paper shortage on his TV show. The next day there was a run (pardon the pun) on toilet paper and the prices shot up. It's not much different with gas, except that there is actually a shortage, in some areas, at the moment. The shortage in one area of the country started a run on gasoline in other areas where there was no shortage, and actually caused one. Then, the law of supply and demand took over.

I'm not justifying the increase, only stating what the underlying cause was. There were several areas of the country that had no shortage, and the price still spiked. Dealers and wholesalers in these area should be investigated and fined. IMAO

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I paid $3.299 for gas last Friday, the next day hubby paid $3.519 at the same gas station. It's gone up to $3.559. There is no shortage around here, and the price spiked moderately. We get most of our gas from Canada up around here, so it's purely the speculator market that caused our hike.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Huh. Our prices went up about 10-15%, and we ARE Canada <g>, and I gather (?) that most of the gas sold around here comes out of the States :p

It's a funny ol' world.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lucky here cause we are going down slow from the increase.

$3.69 to about $4.69-4.99
now I am seeing $4.09 to $3.99 around...so I still have 3/4 tank from the cheapest and trying to not drive to hold out for a lower price.......ahh, the pain in the butt that gas prices create!!

News the other night said places are being investigated for price gouging. When other stations went up with new deliveries of higher priced gas, the other stations raised their prices just as high to jump in on a profit and now they are being checked....so that is good, knowing they are being seen and won't be tolerated. oh well...

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
From $3.49 on Monday up to $3.59 yesterday

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Went from $4.19 this morning to $4.09. Another place is still $4.39