General meds and antibiotics?

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I use pine pitch (not pine tar ointment- I hear that is good as well) on minor scrapes and already-healing cuts. I am not sure how it works, but it seems to take the "red and angry" out of healing scab edges. I know it is said to have some antiseptic qualities. I was going to purchase the pine tar salve for the next time I get a boil, but haven't gotten around to it. I was reminded of the use of pitch (I have a pine forest in my yard) so used the pitch on my hand. It worked really well, I and I will try this less-processed version the next time I get a boil instead. Even if it doesn't help, I don't think it can hurt.

Has anyone used straight pine pitch with any results?

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmm, straight pine pitch, known for its sulphuric content...makes sense as sulphur is known for its anti bacterial as we well anti fungal properties. Interesting...

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread got bumped up as I hadn't read it before. Good info and links here!

A pinch of ACV mother is a good pain reliever for minor scrapes, cuts. I didn't believe it until I tried it.

chloe008

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I'm glad this thread got bumped up as I hadn't read it before. Good info and links here!

A pinch of ACV mother is a good pain reliever for minor scrapes, cuts. I didn't believe it until I tried it.
I strongly agree.:D

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
I do a rotation of OTC meds. I just wonder how I can stock up on antibios. I can not get scripts from the doctor unless ill. How do you get your antibios for a possible SHTF time when supplies are low to none? Would antibios specifically for animals be an option?

Perviously we got a bunch of antibios from a relative when he visited from his country.They are pretty old now. I asked about mailing some,but customs makes it hard. I know herbs are an option if I can not get allopathic antibios.
I haven't read all the posts so I dont know if anyone else already posted this-

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=3c692bd2-34d9-4672-88af-981a955ec094&gas=antibiotic

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07301-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

They have a couple of others, too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread is still getting attention.

I prefer using herbal methods, but I have some fish antibiotics as well. I remember reading one of the stories in the All Creatures Great and Small series, about the first time the good doctor had occasion to use penicillin. He used it on some sheep that were at Death's Door-- none of the "old fashioned" remedies had worked and the farmer was ready to call the Knacker Man. It made me realize that, although herbs are very good, sometimes they are not enough.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Colloidal Silver is basically a natural antibiotic. I haven't had cause to use it for that just yet, but it did help when the dog got a yeast infection in his ears.

Latest posts