Get out of my yard you darn kids!

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An example of why I hate my neighborhood.
Last night DD had an away game. I picked her up at the school a bit after midnight when they got back. (Football team unloading 2 buses, cheerleaders 1 bus, marching band 4 buses)
When I left I noticed something laying in the road, and DD noticed it when we got home. Looked like pine branches.
Sure enough, this morning I went to investigate. We had planted pine trees along the line between what yard we can use and what is utility easement/right of way a number of years back. They are now in the 16' range. Some of those stinking kids in the neighborhood had actually been messing with my trees and broke a couple of branches off the. I reckon they were trying to climb them.

Really P's me off. These kids are of the belief that everything outdoors and not behind a fence is public property. I think if the fence is easily climbed over then stuff behind it is fair game as well. Their parents do nothing to correct them. I only occasionally catch them, and when I do there is little more I can do than scold them.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just an idea, but can you plant holly or cactus around the base of the trees? Something they won't want to go through to get to the trees? Biggest problem is, they trespass on your property, climb your tree, fall out, and their parents sue you and win! Really don't understand the way things are going these days :/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Eh, they might win, but any judge worth his salt would award them only $1 in damages. Post a 'no trespassing' sign, too. My BIL is an attorney. He told me in the past that they could sue, but wouldn't get much as they were trespassing and you could file charges against them.

Ya, I agree, some thorny bushes or something might help. So would a guard dog. And some barbed wire.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Eh, they might win, but any judge worth his salt would award them only $1 in damages. Post a 'no trespassing' sign, too. My BIL is an attorney. He told me in the past that they could sue, but wouldn't get much as they were trespassing and you could file charges against them.

Ya, I agree, some thorny bushes or something might help. So would a guard dog. And some barbed wire.
We thought about putting firing steps on the inside of the 6' privacy fence and taking turns posting with a rifle

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but seriously???? Were they climbing on the easement side or your side? JMO, but there are alot worse things kids could be doing. I get the privacy thing and all,but.....

Talk to the parents, post some signs if you feel the need, but there are more serious things in the world to get upset over.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I tend to agree..... :p Life is short and getting shorter my the second. It just isn't worth stressing your body and mind over some broken branches. If I was that stressed by my neighbors I'd either build a Ft. Knox fence all the way around with hot wire on the top... or simply move to a very isolated area.

I love where I live right now....no near neighbors on all sides, just pasture land. Makes for peaceful livin' even if one has to commute farther to stores, work, church, etc.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is a strip of land along the street that is labeled "right of way". I have to cut the grass and pay taxes on it like it is mine, yet I cannot plant anything there, let alone build a fence.
Within that is a strip called "utility easement", which I can plant things on but cannot build a fence. This is the area the trees in Q are planted in. Therefore they are on my property, yet I cannot put a fence around them.
Finally, after that strip, the lot is mine. I have a 6' fence right at that line. Prior to building that fence, the neighborhood kids were commonly walking thru my backyard. I once ran off a couple of them who were in the act of destroying my bird feeder.
Can't call any parents, because I don't know exactly what kids did it. Had to be kids, tho - what else?

Not stressed, just P'd.
Doesn't the thought of some neighborhood kid coming into your place and messing with your stuff P you off?

As to moving - been working on it.