Get out of my yard you darn kids!

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
All I meant this for was a somewhat light rant - part of my own personal battle against suburbia as part of my ultimate journey towards my own dream of SS

The simple fact was that somebody - very safe to assume it was kids - came into my yard at night and broke something of mine. There is nothing I can do about it, and especially not make friends with the offenders and invite them into my yard to hang out with me. It's over, just until the next little incident.

And some people think I shouldn't be angry about this?

Anyway thank you to you people who co-miserated with me and understood my aggravation in this little matter

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we had a 33 year old "kid" who was the neighborhood peeping tom. He is metally challenged but knew he was doing something wrong.
Cops would show at the latest neighbors house and take a "report" but nothing was ever done. I put up no trespassing signs and we caught him at midnight
peeping into my daughters window and called the police. They arrested him and he was charged and plead guilty and got a bit of a record. But the officer told us
that he was able to get the charges to stick because of our signs. So now we have them everywhere. We also fenced in the entire property and put up security lights and cameras.

Just my experiance.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
colowyo i think hit it on the head for me.
it wouldnt be the trees themselves it would be the fact that these kids came onto private property and damaged it..

the basis of it is its my land, i look after it, my money goes into it and other people should respect that and stay off it unless invited...

its called respect and its something that seems to be lacking particularly in young teens these days!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
colowyo i think hit it on the head for me.
it wouldnt be the trees themselves it would be the fact that these kids came onto private property and damaged it..

the basis of it is its my land, i look after it, my money goes into it and other people should respect that and stay off it unless invited...

its called respect and its something that seems to be lacking particularly in young teens these days!
:gig :gig :lol: i'm not laughing at you, but at that phrase. how many times did we hear older people saying this exact same thing either at us or in our presence when we were teens? :D i'm not saying that it's not true, just funny how every generation says the same thing :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Toulle said:
All I meant this for was a somewhat light rant - part of my own personal battle against suburbia as part of my ultimate journey towards my own dream of SS

The simple fact was that somebody - very safe to assume it was kids - came into my yard at night and broke something of mine. There is nothing I can do about it, and especially not make friends with the offenders and invite them into my yard to hang out with me. It's over, just until the next little incident.

Anyway thank you to you people who co-miserated with me and understood my aggravation in this little matter
Well, the title of this thread has me in stitches!! :gig Maybe I can give you my title of fuddy duddy that I earned when I was blabbing about the music kids listen to today. :p OPK (other people's kids) can be annoying can't they?

And Koxxx, I love the bb gun sign. Too funny! I get a sadistic thrill of imagining shooting a naughty kid in the bum with a bb gun. :hide :lol: Just kidding of course.

Some kids though I would hate having wander in my yard. (Some adults too, like the tweekers that live down the lane. They wander through once in a while when they can't sleep anymore. Then I wish I still had my old bat with two horse shoes attached to it. :p ) There is a kid that uses my property to cut through to get to his friend's house once in a while. I don't mind that. He keeps to himself and doesn't bother my horses etc.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Toulle said:

Well, maybe that 's just it. I am not partial to rants. :) and while misery loves company, I don't love misery. i would rather be proactive about dealing with the situation rather than whining about it. Not said to be disagreeable, it's just I won't jump on your bandwagon. (or anyone elses who feels the need to rant) without offering my perspective.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
colowyo your right of course, very generation says the same thing...
but im only 26 and i see it getting worse every day...

for example, my grandparents have an apple tree in their front yard, when my dad was little my grandparents completl was kids sitting on the wall and stealing an apple or 2...
when i was little it was compaints about the kids grafitinying the wall and stealing bags full of apples...
a couple of years ago though the local kids knowcked down the wall and stole all the apples, and then just a few months ago, they caught kids trying to CUT DOWN the apple...

over the years the levels efinatly escalate...what can often be refered to as "kids being kids" now, would have been called vandalism but a few years ago...why should the rules have changed so much in such a short time...

i mean a few years ago "kids will be kids" was kids playing basketball in the street and the ball accidentally hitting a car...
now kids being kids however is them throwing a ball at the car on purpose...

whats called respsct now is but a faint shadow of what would be considered respect when my grandparents were my age and i find that incredibly sad...
but im an old fashiond kinda gal in that sense i guess.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't think you love misery. You should be able to come here and share things that are happening in your life and how you feel about them without being lectured that your feelings are somehow wrong. I hope things get better for you.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel your pain and don't think that you are being overly upset-not only is it teens and preteens these days-but people in general that are rude nasty and destructive-I don't have too many problems with the kids in town as I am the only mom who is home full time and they all know that I will march them right over to their parents and let their parents know all about what's up. In fact I caught 7 little boys(aged 8 to 10) out at 11:30pm making that "shhhh we'll get caught" noise and found them at the empty house down the road from me using an aerosol can and lighter to "light" the mailbox and the township hall's mailbox. :ep And this in the middle of a big dry spell.. I followed them back to their home(behind me on the new golf course ) watched them slip into the garage and so I went to the door and rang the bell.. only to have the woman(very young) that answered the door tell me her angel was sleeping with his friends in his room.. I politely asked her to look... she left the door open for me came running back asking me what the hell I did with her baby and his friends..:rolleyes:
I said I did nothing and that they were probably still in the garage trying to wait to sneak in.. She went and looked and found them all, with a couple of them burnt(on their hands) with the can and the lighter... At least she chewed them all out and sent everyone else home and apologized left and right.. I never saw or heard them out late again.. but kids can get into really bad situations if in groups they egg one another on.:barnie

But my biggest problem is that a certain group of young men and one older man think that since it snows they have the right to take their snowmobiles everywhere and anywhere and right across my gardens/yard and next to my darn house.. I live a bit off the road and can deal with them going along the edge of the road but the next to my home was the last straw. I had no trespassing signs up(one said no snowmobiles) and they ran them over.. last year I put up police tape.. it worked.. The local police told me that he knew who they were and let them know that what they were doing was illegal and he would arrest them if they did it again.. we will have to wait and see what happens this year. They do so much damage to my lawn, even thru thick snow. I think they have spikes or something on their tracks.

And on the mail box issues-it was a huge problem here and everyone assumed it was teens-well I don't sleep much due to the nerve damage I have and one night I happened to hear them while they were still a ways from the house and got out there to watch them this time.. it was full grown adult men who had just gotten out of the bar and were standing in the back of a truck with a baseball bat. I got the truck license plate number called the sheriff and told him which way they were headed and sure enuf luck was with us and there was a deputy in the area and they caught them in the act so I didn't even have to go and testify. They got them on the dashcam.

I try not to stress over it and all the kids in our super small 4-way town know that they are welcome to come into the yard and see the chickens and know the rules and if they don't follow them they can't come in.. I often let them cut across my back yard to go to the play yard at the township hall as I would rather they were not in the road.
I do try to only worry and stress over that which I can control.. stressing over what is out of my control is useless.
But telling some one not to stress over piddly things doesn't help. piddly stuff has a way of growing into huge horrible stuff.:hide