Getting acclimated to country

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had another doctor's appointment today. :he
I was told not to eat anymore white bread, pasta and rice plus I'm only allowed to have a 3 oz piece of red meat once a week and NO MORE SUGAR! :barnie
Next week I have to do FASTING blood work and am going to be tested for Celalic disease which goes hand in hand with IBS.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170809_182405.jpg

There's a current pic of Mama #1 and Munchkin who only has a fuzzy baby head now. Isn't that coloring awesome? Yup, as you can see a RIR hen had to get into the pic.
IMG_20170809_182444.jpg

There's Mama #2 with her surviving baby ( Peepers for now).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Major diet changes are never fun. I'm sorry. If it helps, ther'e research showing that sugar cravings (after going to no sugar diet) only last 6 days. So it's gonna suck, but hopefully not for as long as we'd imagine. :hugs

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think I could handle having coffee without a little sugar or flavored creamer in it.
Speaking of flavored creamer, I picked up a 32oz bottle of FRENCH VANILLA liquid creamer today and wasn't paying enough attention to the label, ended up getting Ultra-Pasturized. YUCK! :sick
I'll still end up using it seeing how I hate to waste my money but that will teach me to pay more attention.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So -- first week is hell, then it levels out. :cool: :p

Of course, you have to consider that many, many things are loaded with sugar...ketchup, sodas, breads, pizza dough, etc. Even French fries at some FF places!

Grow your own, cook at home, drink water or tea with no sugar added. It is also a fact that the wheat used today is NOT like what used to be grown. Many of the old types are deep rooted and produce differently Same with many of the GMO jacked foods. Production was more important than nutrition -- use heirloom.

Emotionally may be harder for you than anything else. Just accept it and you will survive -- and be healthy! :old

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A lot of the food produced today isn't like what it was way, way back then.
I like getting my veggies from the farm stand that's run by the Amish. Whatever I don't think I'll use in a timely manner I put in FoodSaver heat and seal bags, vacuum all the air out and freeze the bags for future use.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170810_113439.jpg
IMG_20170810_143757.jpg

First pic is of the area where I'm removing the trouble some burdock plants.
Second pic is what I've got done so far. The pile that is in front of the small building frame is what I've cut down.
Looking a whole lot better!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sheep and goats love first-year burdock and keep them under control. Takes a couple years to get rid of it. And when you stop grazing them there, it will come back from seeds.

When we take out burdock, we burn it to kill the seeds. The pasture we normally use for sheep is fine for burdock - their fleeces aren't getting completely ruined from it. But the pasture we don't use, on the other side of the fence, is overrun with burdock.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can blueberry lemonade concentrate. I think the recipe is in Ball complete book of canning. It's delicious! And very easy to make.

Edited to Add: the canning book recipe is for strawberry lemonade, I subbed in blueberry because that's what I have

Latest posts