Giant Poop Bubbles

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704266504575142224096848264.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_3

Bubbles the size of small houses have sprouted in the covered pool of 21 million gallons of decomposing cow manure. The bubbles are big enough to be seen in satellite photos. Armed with a Swiss army pocketknife, boat and gas mask, the owner thinks he can get this under control.
"If that thing blows God help us all for miles", worried neighbors think puncturing the bubbles could cause an explosion of manure and gases.
How'd you like to live next to this guy?
Landfills have to vent methane through torches. How did this guy slide in oversight? Back in 2006 he noticed bubbles and thought "this doesn't look right"!
:ep

miron27

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wow what an interesting story well he needs to pump the lagoons out. free fertilizer he should start spreading it now on his fields even if he is going to walk away from it all

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
:welcome

You'd think he would have learned from this:
Last year, a hog farmer in Hayfield, Minn was launched 40' into the air in an explosion caused by methane gas from a manure pit on his farm. He sustained burns and singed hair.

miron27

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
he could tape into it and change over his tractors and stuff to run off methane. he could save thousands of dollars in gas

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ugh! This is why you don't do monoculture!!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I believe I would use a high powered rifle from a VERY safe distance away, to pop those bubbles. :sick :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Holy crap! :D I'm thinking a .22 would do it from a safe distance....

"They planned to build a dairy farm with 1,650 cows on 180 acres." I was under the understanding that a dairy cow needs about an acre of very good grass, so this farm should really be closer to 2000 acres to be sustainable, right?

That manure lagoon is loaded with antibiotic resistant strains of E. Coli. So go spread it on the fields of spinach, tomatoes, and canteloupe, then wonder how produce gets contaminated. Then blame it on the workers who supposedly don't wash their hands after using the porta-potty.

Notice they are trucking the manure to "another farm?"

Sheesh! Sorry, this is not a "A" student. This guy gets a big "F" from me.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Not to worry, said Mr. Goldstein as he stood at the edge of the manure pit, puffing on a cigarette and gazing at the bubbles glistening in the sun. I have no fear of popping them.
Too funny! You just can't make this stuff up!
With all that methane and his lit cigarette, I wouldn't have wanted to interview him much less live next door!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, dear. Not only doesn't he think ahead to prevent problems, but he hasn't fixed the problem since 2006?? :ep

I can't believe he isn't tapping into all that good methane- free house heat, free vehicle fuel- up here the power company buys it! Central Vermont Cow Power program.
http://www.cvps.com/cowpower/

Latest posts