glenolam's madness - April passed away

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick update - I just got off the phone with the vet (who is now getting a ticket for talking on her cell phone while driving!!!)

She said that 'vein' could be a few things - an infection in the mammory glands, which is causing inflammation, or CL spreading. She still really doesn't feel like this is CL because there are no other lumps anywhere other than her udder and, while the lymphnodes on either side of her neck are a bit large, they're not large like she would normally see with CL. That and the fact that these lumps aren't increasing (or decreasing) in size.

I ran CAE by her to see what she thought. April's been tested for those 2 diseases before and showed negative (although that doesn't always mean negative), but she's got some of the signs CAE presents, like swollen knees. But, the vet said CAE wouldn't cause her to loose weight first before getting arthritis (which she doesn't have) so she doesn't even want to test her for that.

I'm to put her on penicillian for 7 days and see if that helps at all too.

We agreed that if she doesn't start getting better in 2 or 3 weeks its either find another home where someone wants to invest time and money into a chronic sick goat or put her down. You'd think that after months of special treatments, wormers, antibiotics, probios, B complex she'd look better, which, weight wise she's put on a few pounds, but then something else presents itself.

ETA - I realize that she's been on so much stuff that her immune system is pretty much shot, which I think is also contributing to this nastiness. But in all the weeks where she was off dewormers or antibiotics I was supplementing her with B Complex, probios and good loose minerals hoping it'd at least give her a shot at getting better. Who knows.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Oh, poor April! I hope you get some answers!!!
Have fun camping out! I may just pitch my little tent in the backyard while everyone's gone next week and sleep out with the critters. :cool:
And, that's why I love my tack shed. Hope you figure out what's wrong w/April. :hugs

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
April is doing very well. It seems as though the lumps in her udder are decreasing in size and she's still very much alert, eating, drinking, playing more, etc. Time will tell.

Today we went to our town's annual 4th of July parade. little g got to ride his bicycle in it and decorated it all up...he thought he was the coolest kid out there! He's the one in the first few pictures riding the bike w/training wheels and I'm in a blue tank top and white capris.

DSCN0955-2.jpg

Here's an album of pictures from the parade - have a great holiday!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear April is doing better. I hope that's a really good sign!!!

Your parade is soooo different from Willimantics!!! I added pictures to my journal thread to compare!
For those who don't realize, Gleno and I only live a few towns apart!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Quick question. Is Draxxin now being used to treat CL?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't have the answer, just wanted to jump in and say I love the parade pictures!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Damummis said:
Quick question. Is Draxxin now being used to treat CL?
No - Draxxin was for the mycoplasma or any other bacteria that could be causing an infection. The vet thinks she has some type of bacteria in her that's causing her body to go haywire.

She's on the 4th day of Pen G and really doesn't like me anymore. Each time I go into the pen she runs from me because she knows I'm going to stick her with something. I tried to be really nice and gave her a really good hoof trim yesterday along with a big bucket o grain and some scratchings, but she was very weary of me. I don't blame her.

I have a broody hen who's been sitting on a nest for the past week - I would normally be happy, but I have a nice rat problem that's not easily fixed. When we build the hen house, it was a shed that was sorta tossed up there. When we converted it to the chicken house we just peice mealed scrap plywood that we had laying around so there's tons of holes and spaces for rodents to get inside. Definitely didn't think that part through. What is good is that I can easily drop rat poison chunks down the walls and the chickens have yet to find it and eat it - the floor was reinforced with a layer of concrete so the only way the chickens could get to the poison is by going through a hole in the wall, which is only big enough for rats, or by digging underneath the coop from the outside, which we frequently fill in holes there. Anyway - last summer I lost so many chicks to the dang rats that in the winter time I went on a killing rampage. All was well for months until they came back. They'll see - you don't mess with the Zohan!

Guinea eggs are on day 11...only 17 days to go....hopefully all will go well and I'll have some keets!