glenolam's madness - April passed away

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sir Loin and Meatball are such funny names! I love it. That sounds dangerous, getting those big animals into a trailer, you be careful now!

My goats are looking slick and nice now too, and starting to give less milk. Do you think in the drying-off process, I should first go back to milking once a day? It seems like Molly might be ready for that now. Did you do that first, then go to milking every other day? And how long do you want them dried up before you re-breed them? I wanted to breed my does one at a time this year because I only have one kidding stall. So I was thinking if I dry up Molly in August, I can breed her in September, then dry off Ginger in September and breed her in November. Does that sound like a good plan?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can breed them right through milking if you want. Typically, you dry them up about 3 months prior to kidding, not breeding, so you could start drying one of them up now and do the other in a few months.

With Opi, I went from milking once a day to every other day and that lasted about a week. She was pretty dried already so one day I just stopped. She didn't even bag up at all, just a few drips came out. I think with Fudgie I'm going to go straight to every other day and see how that goes. I won't milk her out completely, just enough to relieve the pressure and make sure the milk is still...well...milky and not congested or have any blood. I thought drying a goat up would be really hard but so far it's been easy. I don't think I have one of those does that wants to give milk for two years, thankfully!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, test results are in. April is CL negative so that's not where the lumps are stemming from. Great news in that respect but now that means it's something else. I'm waiting on a call back from the vet to see what she thinks.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks!

I hope the vet has something good to say about those results. May it be something benign.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just talked to the vet. She thinks it's cancer and that April may or may not have much time, it all depends on how fast this progresses. I'm not going to spend money on testing the cysts to determine whether or not it's benign - on the one hand it's a goat and not a goat that's given me many great years but on the other she's a really good girl who has come back around to me, resting her head on my shoulder and loving up on me.

So, no breeding this year or any other year and I have to make the decision of whether or not I want a pet. I'm leaning towards pet because if my vet is right she won't make it through winter and I don't want anyone else to have to deal with that.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's always a sliver lining...

The eggs weren't due to hatch until Friday....ready...say it with me....1....2....3

AWWWWWWW

DSCN0996.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

And here's a video

More to come!

Latest posts