1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Farm Dogs
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

glyphosate

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by crealbilly, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sep 12, 2017
    crealbilly

crealbilly Almost Self-Reliant

I've never used glyphosate but apparently it's pretty widely used. I seen round up ready corn seed at the farm store this past year and thought to myself what kind of craziness is this? As a matter of fact I won't even use hay if it don't have some weeds in it because I know it was most likely treated with some kind of "cide"...

I kill weeds the old fashioned way - with good ole hoe.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/glyphosate-cancer-data/

Beekissed likes this.
  2. Sep 12, 2017
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I am very fortunate that I live in a part of the country where these sorts of things are less common. But it is still an issue. I HATE Monsanto:mad:

Beekissed likes this.
  3. Sep 12, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Same here...not much of an issue on the local farms but the power company pours it all over the right of ways under the power lines...looks like death there, with everything brown on either side of the roads. All of that runs off right into the streams, killing the aquatic life...where's the whole environmental gang when THAT'S happening?

It's frowned upon if you burn your personal paper trash and some states are regulating wood burning stoves, but they can dump all the cancer they want on the soils along the roads and powerlines.

4. Sep 13, 2017
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

Why would I want to grow a garden and pour poison on it? Might as well buy from the grocery store-NOT

crealbilly and Beekissed like this.
  5. Sep 13, 2017
    NH Homesteader

Our power company sent a tree company to cut all the trees on the power lines. They've been working in the woods on our road all week. This particular company does not appear to spray. Which is likely why we lose our power so much... But I'll take it, and am very happy to see the tree guys this week!

6. Sep 13, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I like it when they cut it. Usually they chip it up too and are always looking for a place to dump it. Free mulch!

7. Sep 13, 2017
    NH Homesteader

I know, I was hoping to find them but they've mostly been waaaay out in the woods!

People are seriously under-enraged about the chemicals in our food. Amazes me.

baymule and tortoise like this.
  8. Sep 13, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Ladies, that's how it started here too. Many, many crews cutting and chipping the lines for months. Later we started noticing all the weeds and underbrush that had sprung up after all that clearing and chipping was turning brown....now whole swaths of land under the power lines is dead as a doornail. It's creepy looking. If I get a chance I'll get a pic of some of the areas.

9. Sep 13, 2017
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I use vinegar to kill weeds in my steps. That's as far as I go with weedkiller. Oh and the boiling water left over after canning.

Otherwise it's hoe or handpulling

10. Sep 13, 2017
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

Chemical agriculture started after World War 2. There were all these war chemicals left over, so what to do with them? Sell them to the farmers to kill weeds and bugs!

If they were war chemicals and the government ok's them being used on our food.....does that make anybody else uneasy?