glyphosate

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never used glyphosate but apparently it's pretty widely used. I seen round up ready corn seed at the farm store this past year and thought to myself what kind of craziness is this? As a matter of fact I won't even use hay if it don't have some weeds in it because I know it was most likely treated with some kind of "cide"...

I kill weeds the old fashioned way - with good ole hoe.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/glyphosate-cancer-data/

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Theres change on the horizon for sure. Once word gets out demand for organic food will increase and so will the supply. Eventually maybe they will outlaw the use of round up on food.

Maybe people wont like the prices and that will encourage them to grow their own foods. Maybe a new wave of self sufficiency will hit the population. Maybe folks will figure out that You Cant Eat the Grass and strive for BackYard Self Reliance.

"You can change the world, one back yard at a time"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Roundup -- at my old farm a worker was told to NEVER use the stuff. He did. He sprayed along a fence line where my pregnant mares were within 2 weeks of foaling. 2 days later, one of them aborted, next day another. They had eaten that grass, necropsy performed as these were expensive animals! NO Roundup here.

I sometimes use my propane torch for weeds. It's one of the Dragon types, made for such. Helps. Digging & cutting otherwise. Sometimes I throw some scratch feed along a building and the chickens help dig. :lol: That works well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
those bushels may have less nutrients overall when farmers use Round Up. Which means we are filling our bellies, but remaining hungry

Proven that GMOs generally have far less nutrition in the resulting plant Often less flavor. Some new strains, developed for more production, less height, more or less whatever....are not the same in other ways as heirloom. Wheat, for example. The OLD types were very deep rooted, produced less but almost no issues with gluten intolerance. Many of these strains are used today within the specialized foods industry.

My grandad used to raise corn that was sweet and small, plus the dents and flints -- different purposes, different plants. We are trying to get back to it within most SS lifestyles. Sometimes hard to do.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As the demand for organic food grows, Big Ag and the large industrial food companies are getting in on the action. The big companies lobby the government to relax the laws to their benefit. The organic laws have been watered down. So is organic really organic?