glyphosate

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farmers have been using the stuff so long they have grown dependent on it. Its also increased yeild alot. Corn for example gmo yields around twice as many bushels an acre.

It may yield more per bushel, but I'm betting that, considering how glyphosate works by locking nutrients away from the plant, those bushels may have less nutrients overall when farmers use Round Up. Which means we are filling our bellies, but remaining hungry.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

“The problem of soil and water conservation is our gravest and most fundamental national problem.”

“It is the duty of every citizen, for his own welfare, if for no other patriotic reason, to support and fight for and possibly initiate measures having to do with conservation of soil, water and forests.”

-Louis Bromfield

Interesting Guy (was a movie writer) has anybody ever visited Malabar farm in Richland County Ohio

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now I have to find organic cheerios... My kids are so young, cheerios are important! Lol. I also eat oatmeal most days for breakfast. I do love that they are now saying that round up has been linked to cancer. Yes!!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Theres change on the horizon for sure. Once word gets out demand for organic food will increase and so will the supply. Eventually maybe they will outlaw the use of round up on food.

Maybe people wont like the prices and that will encourage them to grow their own foods. Maybe a new wave of self sufficiency will hit the population. Maybe folks will figure out that You Cant Eat the Grass and strive for BackYard Self Reliance.

"You can change the world, one back yard at a time"

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
those bushels may have less nutrients overall when farmers use Round Up. Which means we are filling our bellies, but remaining hungry

Proven that GMOs generally have far less nutrition in the resulting plant Often less flavor. Some new strains, developed for more production, less height, more or less whatever....are not the same in other ways as heirloom. Wheat, for example. The OLD types were very deep rooted, produced less but almost no issues with gluten intolerance. Many of these strains are used today within the specialized foods industry.

My grandad used to raise corn that was sweet and small, plus the dents and flints -- different purposes, different plants. We are trying to get back to it within most SS lifestyles. Sometimes hard to do.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As the demand for organic food grows, Big Ag and the large industrial food companies are getting in on the action. The big companies lobby the government to relax the laws to their benefit. The organic laws have been watered down. So is organic really organic?

Latest posts