GM Cattle anyone?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coming to a store near you.
My question is, if you breed cows to have only males or male looking calves, what are you going to do when you cant breed them anymore because the cow cant get pregnant anymore? Or the "females" prove to be sterile?
As farmland shrinks because farmers can no longer financially sustain it, this is where our food production is headed. More and more farms and land is being turned into housing developments or business parks. Food grown is being genetically modified to produce more on less land. We are not God. Scientists should stop acting like it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The genetic code for these GMO cows will be patented. Soon, it will be illegal for any farmer to breed his own livestock.

Just like is being done with our garden seeds. This is why I often climb on my soap box regarding buying seed only from seed companies who are heavily vested in OSSI.

https://osseeds.org/

The Open Source Seed Initiative

Today, only a handful of companies account for most of the world’s commercial breeding and seed sales. Increasingly, patenting and restrictive contracts are used to enhance the power and control of these companies over the seeds and the farmers that feed the world.

Patented and protected seeds cannot be saved, replanted, or shared by farmers and gardeners. And because there is no research exemption for patented material, plant breeders at universities and small seed companies cannot use patented seed to create the new crop varieties that should be the foundation of a just and sustainable agriculture.

Inspired by the free and open source software movement that has provided alternatives to proprietary software, OSSI was created to free the seed – to make sure that the genes in at least some seed can never be locked away from use by intellectual property rights.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
produce more on less land.

Or NO land. That's going on now.

I do buy OSSI, non GMO, etc. But, so long as I am the owner of goats, mine will be generated the natural way.

FEM -- you know I have always said I wanted a cow! It is hard to stop the urge, esp when 5 miles from me they are selling their own homestead cows. A jersey & a Holstein, both milked by them and both bred to an angus for Spring calves...ONLY 500 each. (they are retiring from homesteading) I AM FIGHTING IT! Don't need them and with 10 does coming fresh in a couple months.....:th No! NO!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that is cheap! Come on , get that Jersey! Nice creamy milk and supposedly the tastiest meat!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A jersey & a Holstein, both milked by them and both bred to an angus for Spring calves...ONLY 500 each. (they are retiring from homesteading) I AM FIGHTING IT! Don't need them and with 10 does coming fresh in a couple months.....:th No! NO!
DO IT! I d-double dog dare you!

That's a great price - you could probably make money off of 'em easily. Graft some calves on 'em...keep one for your freezer and sell 'the other(s) at weaning.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you had the land, and the energy to take care of them, you could buy them, and sell the calves and make a tidy little profit on them. Even selling a milker, you could turn a nice profit. Lay out 1K, turn a profit, end up with a free milk cow.