GM Cattle anyone?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coming to a store near you.
My question is, if you breed cows to have only males or male looking calves, what are you going to do when you cant breed them anymore because the cow cant get pregnant anymore? Or the "females" prove to be sterile?
As farmland shrinks because farmers can no longer financially sustain it, this is where our food production is headed. More and more farms and land is being turned into housing developments or business parks. Food grown is being genetically modified to produce more on less land. We are not God. Scientists should stop acting like it.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To each his own - but I wouldn't trade my JerseyxAngus for ANYTHING!
Stays fat on almost nothing but pasture or hay. Easy calving. Raises a 3/4beef calf. Just enough milk to keep the calf & myself happy - because REALLY... who NEEDS 10 gallons A DAY unless you're a Serious cheese maker or a herd-share???
eva 9.2016.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If we ever get a cow it'll be a Dexter. Good milk, good meat, small package .
If I were to ever get a cow - I am torn between a Dexter or a Devon.
Dexter because they do great on grass, small size, excellent milk, excellent meat.
Devon because they do great on grass, medium size, great milk, excellent meat; plus they are an oxen so their temperament is calm too boot.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The genetic code for these GMO cows will be patented. Soon, it will be illegal for any farmer to breed his own livestock.

Just like is being done with our garden seeds. This is why I often climb on my soap box regarding buying seed only from seed companies who are heavily vested in OSSI.

https://osseeds.org/

The Open Source Seed Initiative

Today, only a handful of companies account for most of the world’s commercial breeding and seed sales. Increasingly, patenting and restrictive contracts are used to enhance the power and control of these companies over the seeds and the farmers that feed the world.

Patented and protected seeds cannot be saved, replanted, or shared by farmers and gardeners. And because there is no research exemption for patented material, plant breeders at universities and small seed companies cannot use patented seed to create the new crop varieties that should be the foundation of a just and sustainable agriculture.

Inspired by the free and open source software movement that has provided alternatives to proprietary software, OSSI was created to free the seed – to make sure that the genes in at least some seed can never be locked away from use by intellectual property rights.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I worked on a diary farm over weekends in my teens. Absolutely loved every minute of it... Except those times when my boss handed me one of those long plastic gloves and said the top hole ;)

I watched a cow give birth there (and got gifted the calve, a female, I named her Candice), I learned to do AI and successfully impregnated a cow :gig (I still laugh when I say it.. It sounds so strange) But it was awesome and I love cows for it, for the happy memories :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How long will it be before the United Nations has their way, One World Government takes over, We are selectively killed off by chemtrails, the rest are rounded up and pushed into high rise apartments to be servants to the "elites" and our food is a 3 times a day capsule?