Goat Doeling - we lost her :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately, we lost her anyway.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I wish I knew, but maybe somebody will see with the answer soon. :fl I hope she gets better fast.
Big disclaimer. I am Not an expert but I want goats so I've been reading lots on them.

My instincts are saying some B vitamins may help her energy level. If she doesn't want a bottle, maybe smearing a touch of molasses on her mouth will get her started. It's nutritious and might make her remember she likes food/drink. A little ACV in water helps perk animals up too sometimes. I hope her appetite comes back soon, since that's usually a sign an animal is improving.
Some extra body heat may help. Could one of the other animals sleep with her? Does her breathing seem normal?
Can you call a vet for some advice? I wish Blackbird was around. He is young but he is great with goats.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
She is still with us this morning, still weak.

she pooped good during the night - no runs or anything. But, she keeps spitting up and spitting out her cud - if that makes sense.

I keep washing off her face and mouth to keep it cleaned. I think she must have inhaled some of her cud, because her breathing sounds like she has snots in her nose. Almost sounds congested.

I'm still working on getting fluids in her.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I was finally able to get her to work with me on taking fluids. Then she peed - all over me - and kept peeing and peeing and peeing.

I hope the peeing is a good sign, because she was a bit more alert after and I got her to cooperate with more fluids.

She's now in the front room in a box with me, where I'm still giving her fluids.

Also going to go pick up some Vit B for her as soon as the store opens.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
does she have a temperature??? that might help determine if she's sick or just recovering from being soaked.

you might want to check with Roll Farms over on byh.... she's a good resource. but i would ah.. ahem... er.. that is.. check with her directly. and ksalvango (if she is around) is always good.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, a B complex for her asap. If she is throwing up still, a little veg oil and baking soda to settle her stomach. If she has been off the bottle for a while, she may not have the compartment of her stomach that digests milk working anymore...not sure how long it takes to shrink and become inactive, but drinking from a bottle directs stuff to that compartment and it is for milk only. No food for a day or so if she was vomiting, too. No milk, either, just water.

I'll see if I can find the amounts of oil/bs I was told to give Plum last year. She is grown up, had a healthy buckling and is producing a fine amount of milk now, so don't worry. Plum coated the entire inside of her 5'x11' stall, and her sister, with her puke before I found her so sick in the morning, too.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
thanks, OFG, I was reading some posts over on BYH about stressed goats (I'm too uh chicken to post publickly over there :hide )

I haven't taken her temp - do I do that rectally (ah poor lael!) and what is a normal goat temp?

She feels cool to the touch, so I was trying to keep her warm.

emilosevich (who I got her from) thinks she may be just stressed - so I'm gonna try vit B Complex and get some nutri-drench at the feedstore. And if that doesn't work.....:hu

She's sleeping a lot - and I'm telling you, I was really afraid last night she wouldn't pull through the night, but she's never gone flat out - I mean like laying flat out - but laying like a goat normally would.