Goat Doeling - we lost her :(

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok I pm'ed Roll Over at BYH.

On to read your article, ofg.

thanks!

Please keep praying ya'll. I love my little Lael.

oh! HUBBY JUST SNEEZED and Lael JERKED her head up like WTH was that?!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope she feels better soon Aly. Looks like everybody has covered the basics for you. :hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yes, a B complex for her asap. If she is throwing up still, a little veg oil and baking soda to settle her stomach. If she has been off the bottle for a while, she may not have the compartment of her stomach that digests milk working anymore...not sure how long it takes to shrink and become inactive, but drinking from a bottle directs stuff to that compartment and it is for milk only. No food for a day or so if she was vomiting, too. No milk, either, just water.

I'll see if I can find the amounts of oil/bs I was told to give Plum last year. She is grown up, had a healthy buckling and is producing a fine amount of milk now, so don't worry. Plum coated the entire inside of her 5'x11' stall, and her sister, with her puke before I found her so sick in the morning, too.
Oh, wow, free! that's a lot of goat vomit!

She was projectile vomiting, just spitting out her cud when it came out - so clumps of abc grasses, etc all over her towel through the night.
This morning, she spit up some cud and tried chewing it - but maybe I did a no no because I cleaned it all off her mouth and teeth and gave her some water.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
This was the advice from Helmstead last year:

I would treat it like a frothy bloat. Get about a tbsp of baking soda in her (drench this very carefully), about 3-6 cc of oil - veggie, canola...whatever you have on hand. Do you have C&D antitoxin? I'd give up to 10 cc of this orally. Then I'd add an antacid to coat stomachs, liquid, about 3 cc.

I also hit them with B Complex injected any time there's any sort of issue. 3 cc, you can't overdose this, up to 3 times a day to avoid polio.

Withhold feed of any kind for 24 hrs.
I didn't have the cd&t antitoxin and used my own oral B complex with her.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
it says to drench very carefully - not to sound retarded - but can you elaborate on that?

And drenching, that's just getting it in her mouth and getting her to swallow it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, make sure she swallows and it doesn't get into her lungs. But she is eating, so she is swallowing....I think that was in case she was too weak and might not swallow. Also, they take surprisingly small sips at that age...so no more than a cc at a time until you are sure she is swallowing. I used a 3 cc syringe w/o the needle.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
OK well I'm good and ticked at the feedstore.

I called to make sure they have Vit B complex before I went down there. She said oh yea we have it so we run down to get it and - THEY DON'T HAVE ANY.

So I got nutri-drench, have already given her some of that - and I'm hoping that helps.

Also drenched her with the baking soda and veg oil :fl

and still giving her water.

not much change yet.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be mad too since you called first :rant and I've heard that the B complex is hard to find right now - a mfg. shortage - but you can crush up regular B1 tablets for people and mix with water and syringe feed.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awww, QA, I hope she gets to feeling better soon. Poor baby. I will say a little prayer for her too.