Goat is down.. hopefully not out.update: she's good!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Debbie, our preg la mancha, was down when we went out to feed this afternoon. and she was 'star gazing'...looking around and up like there was something interesting above her. And she wasnt eating a bit. Earlier today she practically pushed me down to get to her feed and it looked like she finished her good alfalfa hay today. she is eating well, had good feed with plenty of protein and carb and hay, but i'm guessing this extra cold stretch of weather is stressing her.

this is exactly what happened last year AFTER she kidded. same weird star gazing, same weird stretching waaaaaay out, normally on-her-feet- gal is now laying there and only got up when we made her.

so we sprung to action doing what we did last time: got one 250mg vit b1 tablet, crushed one up, dissolved in a little water, sucked it up into a big syringe (no needle) and made her take it orally...and then gave her a big gulp of molasses and water also. and took away her grain and put out the best alfalfa we have. and we set up an heat lamp and made sure she had fresh bedding to snuggle in.

the neighbors had their vet out last nite b/c one of their preg (meat) goats was doing poorly. they treated for ketosis and infection (she had some bleeding) and their gal is now up and doing well. the vet said that she is seeing a LOT of ketosis all around us (there is a thread over on the herds site about this) but ...i'm not sure this what Debbie problem is.. or more specifically - how could i tell the difference between ketosis and polio??

i have pen procaine on hand BUT its the Penicillin G Benzathine and the dose listed for 3 days only. i have NOT given her any as i'm hoping its just the vit B deficiency. of course everything is now closed and its not like i could really drive anywhere with the stupid snow all over the roads.

i imagine i should wait to check on Debbie in a couple hours before i do anything... but any thoughts on additional treatment?!?!!

stupid goat. i swear she is doing this on purpose..... grrr...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
is she heavily preggers? ketosis usually kicks in when they are right near kidding time. I would push the molasses. them suckers need that sugar if heavily preggo

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it could be both - I was reading up here http://goat-link.com/content/view/148/156/ and ketosis fits except for the stargazing at first glance. I would treat for both, can't overdo B1. I'll keep reading and hopefully someone else will pop in. Did you PM Roll over at BYH?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks ladies!

i'm gonna tromp out there in about 30 mins with a big old shot (oral) of molasses (thanks FC!) and to see how she is doing. i'll give her another B1 tab+molasses before we go to bed.

she isnt due until the first week of march and she isnt huge at all. i was thinking she only had one baby this time.

i read both the goatlink and the tennesee meat goat site (wow i LOVE that site) and i'm still stuck with either "no big whoop" or "golly friend sorry about that."

i'm feeling that its the polio again so hopefully its the quick and easy fix.

we'll take her temp when we go out.

* fret fret fret fret *

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I was just looking into that same thing for my Blossom. I think I am going to run out and get some b complex. I haven't seen her do it this afternoon. But I don't want to go through that again!!!

Hope your Debbie responds to the vitamin shot. :fl

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks FD! here i was so worried about your Blossom! i guess we are in this together
:)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I say go with your gut. Goats :rolleyes: makes ya crazy, huh?

Did that vet say why he's seeing alot of Ketosis? I'm guessing the abnormal cold temps we've had? I'll be watching mine even closer now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Shoot, makes me want to go out and give everyone a dose of B vitamins.....they'll all get some with their breakfast grain, for sure. :hugs

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Did that vet say why he's seeing alot of Ketosis?
the vet said she couldnt 'prove' it but she thinks its b/c it was such a hard summer here. so many goats had a hard time with parasites.

personally - i think its b/c its normally not this cold for this long. sure we have cold days.. but dang. not all of Dec.

i asked if the vet thought it was related to feed? but they said it was so wide spread (across counties) that they didnt think so.