Goat is down.. hopefully not out.update: she's good!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks everyone...

and yep K, we gradually changed the hay (we werent completely out) ....i gave both, and then alternated..i thought i was doing a good enough job but ugh. silly goats!

Any type of livestock = driving you crazy.
true!

i'll give her another B1 and more molasses about 11pm. is the polio worse for her since she is still preggo? or it doesnt matter? i was worried how it would affect the babies. she doesnt seem to be in eminent danger of labor at all.

hi BBH!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Glad to hear your Debbie seems to be responding.
I did run out and picked up a b complex. I ground it up and mixed it with their usual seeds, some oatmeal and molasses in a pie pan and gave it to them all. Only little Billy went after it with gusto. the girls went sphh, sphh.. sphh.. and bits went flying. I gave them some corn husks for their evening meal and walked away. I guess at that point they realized that this was it and Blossom ate most of the grain mix.
I didn't see her do the star gazing, head turning bit at all today. Just SO did this morning. So hopefully it is nothing. But we all know how it is with these silly goats. If you ignore it, it'll flare into something nasty and expensive for sure....
At least giving them vitamin B won't hurt them. I have to remember to put some UP/ACV in their water tomorrow too. I haven't done that in a while either.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
honestly Ohio a goat will get anything from anything at any given time even under the best of care
I think this bears repeating. Very wise words. Someone tell them to me when I need them, please!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:hugs and more :hugs to all of the goat caregivers out there.

Glad to hear she seems to be doing better. :)

I do have a question now. Do any of you keep a Goat First Aid Kit on hand? If so what do you keep in it?

We always kept one for the horses, but talk of quick B1, banamine, baking soda, molasses, and test sticks for ketosis ... wow you all have my head spinning!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
freemotion said:
FarmerChick said:
honestly Ohio a goat will get anything from anything at any given time even under the best of care
I think this bears repeating. Very wise words. Someone tell them to me when I need them, please!
thanks, Free! i'll be the first one to remind you.

i'll go out and check her in a bit.

FFresh, my 'kit' is really my '4H kid.' between the us we have just about everything. when i get something new - or need something, i put it all in one place. i have a 'vet tools' drawer by the door to keep it all there so i can just grab it and run.

the hard thing with us is finding a nearby vet who will treat goats. unfortunately the neighbors vet will NOT do a house call for us and nothing ever happens at 2 in the afternoon on a tuesday. so we mooch off the neighbors for their stuff.

my dog vet is good about getting me the Rx stuff we need. and my cat vet helps me with dosing questions.

i guess it takes a village to keep a goat upright, or something like that.

dang goats!

and just you wait. i'll probably be that farm nerd who goes out and sleeps in the barn with the stupid goats. sheesh!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks, D!

so the morning report is....

she's up and eating

last nite we went out late for another B1. she was chewing her cud and looked good. but

she had the scours. bad.

we did not treat b/c i knew it had JUST started and i figured if we could solve the first problem (B1 deficiency) her belly would right itself.

so this morning she had some good poops and i could tell she had eating some hay. i gave her another round of B1 and stood there watching her (glaring at me). she then she tried to kill Nibbles and then sauced over dug into the fresh hay.

i think she back. whew!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to hear.:celebrate

I went way overboard and bought all kinds of stuff for my goat emergency kit. Herbals and traditional meds and anything you could every need to dose or apply them. I could probably perform surgery if I had to :p

And go figure - I got goats who will inhale anything I hand out. Vitamins - no problem. Herbs - they practically knock me down. Something that comes out of a dosing gun - they drool just looking at it. So I really don't need half of what I bought. :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Great news!

Boy that farmin' stuff is serious biz. Stories like this make me wonder if I could even handle animals :hu

Glad she is doing better today :thumbsup you area good goat momma!