Goat is down.. hopefully not out.update: she's good!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Oh man, I'm sorry. :(

My first thought is that it probably isn't ketosis, since she's about 2 months away from kidding, usually it happens closer to kidding. I've never had an animal with polio, but my understanding is they react quickly when they do get the vit. b. Is she interested in eating? Does she have a fever? Is her breath sweet smelling?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thats what i thought too, aggie

1. nope not eating - not even her favorite
2. will check temp when we go out in a bit
3. nope on the breath

if the B1 doesnt snap her out of it the neighbors still have the pee sticks to check for ketosis... that will be something.. me chasing around a goat trying to get her to pee on a stick. i might get the neighbor kid to do that
;-)

i'm really hoping its just the B1 thing.. if not that, and not ketosis..then.. ugh. might be Listeriosis.

none of this stuff adds up tho. the only thing that makes me feel better is the tennesee/onion ranch site says that even under the best conditions goats can get polio for no reason.

ugh!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly Ohio a goat will get anything from anything at any given time even under the best of care

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Maybe even put molasses in their water and give them some nice warm water with molasses in it. Maybe put out a little baking soda to make sure it isn't stomach upset. Do you have some yogurt? I would get some yogurt into her too in case the bacteria in her stomach is off. Does the neighbor have banamine? I think a shot of banamine wouldn't hurt her either.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
THANKS, ksalvagno.. i havent put baking soda out lately....i'll run some out in a bit.

so

i think its the polio/B1 deficiency thing.

when we went out i observed her before we went in. she was curled up under the heat lamp. she wasnt doing the star gazing thing and her eyes were clear - she looked AT me instead of my general direction. and she seemed a little brighter.

then we gave her a bit more B1, molasses, and more water. she definitely is getting her wits back about her. she put up a fight and called me a variety of names not appropriate for this forum.

then we got the thermometer out and then the fight really started. (hey you! get away from me with that thing!) but we won. she was just a shade under 102, which seems ok especially since there was a lot of dancing around and its mighty cold out.

then we gave her more water..... and then she had enough of our circus and ran from us.

so.

despite her ingratitude she seems to be coming around. we'll check her before we go to bed but i think she is on the med.

Goat Crisis or should i say... First Goat Crisis 2011 is hopefully coming to a close.

for a while i was concerned that it could be bad hay - we just got some from our hay guy... but Nibbles is right as rain so i think its specific to Debbie. i'll be watching Nibbles like a hawk, tho.

FC - thanks for saying that.. sometimes its hard to not feel like a bad goat-mommy....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well if she's back to calling you names, then you must be doing something right. Thank goodness :hugs

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are giving them new hay that wasn't transitioned over, that could have caused the polio. Any change in food can bring it on. With animals you never know, one is fine and another just doesn't do well. People who bring their alpacas to my place for birthing take a chance on their alpaca getting polio since they are just thrown in to the new feed and hay. Most of the time no problem, but when you get one that is sensitive.... At least you know what the problem is and can act quickly. Any type of livestock = driving you crazy.

Glad she is doing better. I would probably give her one more B vitamin round before you go to bed. If she gets too much, she will just pee it out anyway.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sorry about Debby. :( You know those animals like to wait until you are in a pickle before they get sick. :hugs

(Big Jane went down (in a dog way) when we were iced in without any electricity...what a disaster!)