Good Thoughts for Sally

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sally...this all sounds like good news to me! I'm so glad they found the problem. I'm sorry she has to have more procedures but if they can fix things, it should be so much better from now on.

I'm thinking that Farm has the solution to your card shower dilemna....get us the address to the rehab place.

Getting card directly in the mail, and not delivered by Mom from home, is much more fun! This way no nut case can have your home address and no one has to be the go between.

I would love to send her a card or two or three and already have one bought and ready to go....just say the word! :)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
If any of you know any speech therapists out there, give them a hug b/c that was who honed the Drs in on the swallowing/throat issues. I totally underestimated speech therapists!
i spent 2 days a week visiting a speech therapist from kindergarten to 5th grade. they are pretty amazing people!

glad that things are looking up.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sally, I am so glad they found the problem and are able to fix it but I know you are probably bone weary by now. How is Sam handeling all this news?

Take care of yourself too.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! Hurray for speach therapists! My DS still sees one, and has been since he was 3.

Sally, so glad they are narrowing in on her real issues. Sending up words that the doctors will have steady hands and make wise decisions and for strength for Sam. And for you!
So, who do we send the cards to? My kids made one last night for Sam :pop

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Is there an address change??? I just mailed a card to the hospital :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You guys are so sweet!

As of 6:00 last night Sam was released to come home!! :ya She made such progress in the hospital she didn't need intensive rehab anymore!

She will have to go to outpatient physical and occupational therapy about twice a week and she has lots of homework to do as far as stretches, lunges, balancing activities and such. She is still a bit unbalanced on foot, so I have to supervise every move she makes. She also has to wear rubber socks or tennis shoes at all times so she doesn't lose her balance, slip and fall.

She also has lots of outpatient appointments and followups such as sleep studies, a PET scan, a CAT scan and eventually probably surgery to remove that lump in her throat

She is still mildly forgetful (still on methadone and "Adivan"...I was misspelling it before as "adaban".) However she is so much better than the day before as always, she just keeps getting better and better. I think she has about 5 more days of meds left to go. On top of the weaning meds, they have her taking 5000 mg of vitamin D daily and a lacto-bacilli tablet twice a day since she was on heavy antibiotics for over a month.

She is having a good look at herself in the bathroom mirror, she has scars and an open wound (from one of the lung tubes) along her chest, under her arm and she has lost a considerable amount of weight. She hasn't seen herself in over a month(!) so I'm sure she is in a bit of shock. She is handling it well though.

She is also on a "thickened diet" consisting of "mechanical soft" foods and thickened liquids until her ENT clears her for normal foods. She doesn't mind b/c shakes and smoothies are considered "thick" liquids. (In fact we are meeting some dear friends for shakes this afternoon at a restaurant downtown.

She hasn't put her little poodle down since we got home! Today we are going to do some in-the-car-sight-seeing after we have our shakes. Aside from her "homework" and physical therapy appointments, she is going to be taking it easy for a long time.

The neuro-counselor-type-person is going to follow up with her and gauge when she can return to school. She will probably start with short days and work her way up. The school is very willing to work with us to get her caught back up. She won't have to repeat the 8th grade thank goodness.

Ok, I think that is about it. I had a monster of a mess in the kitchen I had to whip it into shape and now I'm working on the dining room which seems to have been the catch all for the last month.

If you still want to send cards pm me. If you already sent some to the hospital, don't worry, they will forward them to us. We are going to be spending many afternoons up there for followups too...I'm sure one of the many wonderful nurses :love of Mary Bridge Children's hospital will pass them on to us.

This morning I made her fresh, homegrown scrambled eggs and sliced asian pears from my tree. I just picked up some raw milk from the corner store and I'm making her some "thickened" chocolate milk for dinner.

I think I'm going to bed early. You guys are wonderful!!