Got a gun today.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know, I thought it was really sexy watching my husband slingin' a gun around (that is not innuendo. LOL)

We went outside with some bird shot today and practiced a few rounds. It was pretty cool! Had our ear muffs & everything.

I am right handed, but left eye dominant, so I was shooting left handed. That was awkward! But I hit the target (twenty paces away.)

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Atta, girl! ;) See? Talking about sexy....I think a man is never more attractive than when he is wearing a tool belt! Something about that makes me all fuzzy and warm in all the right places! :D

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
.410 is an ok gun to start.
Once you realize that it has not much killing power compared to higher powered guns, you will want to switch to a 20 gauge or so. good luck

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure you're right. I don't want to kill anything yet, tho. I just want to shoot at stuff. That's probably why my boss brought me that kind. He asked what I wanted to do with it and I said scare stuff away. And he asked me specifically if I wanted to kill anything and I said no. (Seeing how I don't know squat about guns, I thought it was the safest for everyone.)

I tell ya what, tho. We sure gave that wooden target a hard time! :D (and the cardboard box)

Cassandra

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with Ticks on this. A .410 is an easy gun to get comfortable with. But if you need to take care of anything substantial from any kind of distance, a .410 isn't going to do it for you. Get comfortable with the .410 and then get a 20 or a 12 g. A .410 won't even kill a groundhog unless you can sneak up quite close (and you rarely can :rolleyes:). And if you ever do find yourself in a standoff with that rabid fox (heaven forbid), you don't want to have to be in close range to stop him, ya know?

Also, I don't know if a shotgun is the most versatile for a farm gun if you, um, ever need to put a large animal out of its misery. A rifle or somewhat higher-powered handgun would be the much more humane choice. I'm pretty rusty on my guns so someone with more knowledge than I could probably give you more details there...

In the general sense I hate guns. Really do. But I'm a good shot, know how to handle one, and am not afraid to do so if I have to. But I'm a pacifist by nature and a vegetarian (so no need to hunt). I do keep guns in the house, but it's a real catch 22 for me. I'm uncomfortable having them but I'm equally as uncomfortable not having them--the instinct to protect my family and my animals is pretty strong. My son is just at toddler now, but in the next couple of years I'm going to have to make a tough decision as to what to do with my guns. Do I get rid of them? Or, as the world gets scarier (here I go, putting on my tin foil hat again :lol:) do I get bigger and better ones? It's a tough call. But I can say that here sits one liberal vegetarian crunchy mamma that 110% supports a decent citizen's right to have guns. :D

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rock on, BrookValley! :)

You know, since we got this, (dh) John can hardly shut up about guns. :rolleyes:

When I first brought it home, he couldn't believe it and was really freaked out, but now he wants a rifle and a hand gun. (at least) So, I bet we will be getting one of each in the not too distant future.

They are a fascinating and interesting machine, even if you don't intend to shoot anything but wooden targets.

Cassandra

Gravelcreekfarms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome from a NRA member. When I was a kid the pickup trucks lined up ,on the curb, Thursday night all boasted gun racks. And some held up to five shotguns. Of course, now you'd get arrested if you did that.
It's not a bad idea to be able to defend yourself. There have been numerous stories on rural people shot in their beds. Here in Nebraska Charlie Starkweather kept us out of school for a while when he was on his killing spree. Of course that was a very long time ago. Nowadays, he'd be considered pretty small potatoes. :(

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
You know, I thought it was really sexy watching my husband slingin' a gun around (that is not innuendo. LOL)

I am right handed, but left eye dominant, so I was shooting left handed. That was awkward! But I hit the target (twenty paces away.)

Cassandra
Cassandra, my DH thinks "I" am sexy slinging a gun around. LOL I too am right handed but left eye dominant so I also shoot left handed. My DH thinks thats weird but since I keep a loaded 410 at the back door and a loaded 16 gauge at the front door and never miss what I am shooting at he says weird must be good.

And as far as your boss and his gun collection I started to wonder if we worked for the same man.
Except I am the only one there in the office. I don't find his insurance or the amount of guns he has out of the ordinary especially when you said Mississippi.
My boss has quite an extensive collection also. But so does most of the people where I work. We are even allowed to bring our handguns to work with us. Actually the part of town I work in it is almost a requirement. Mine lays on my desk in plain site.

Edited because I can't spell

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A .410 won't even kill a groundhog unless you can sneak up quite close (and you rarely can ). And if you ever do find yourself in a standoff with that rabid fox (heaven forbid), you don't want to have to be in close range to stop him, ya know?

Also, I don't know if a shotgun is the most versatile for a farm gun if you, um, ever need to put a large animal out of its misery. A rifle or somewhat higher-powered handgun would be the much more humane choice. I'm pretty rusty on my guns so someone with more knowledge than I could probably give you more details there...
A .410 with a slug in it can reek some damage, especially if you notch the end of the slug. Yeah, I agree you have to be pretty close, but I was surprised what it can do to a deer's head! Instant death! I'm sure it could do the do if you needed to put an animal out of its misery.

I would expect one could use a slug in any caliber shotgun to change the effectiveness.

Personally, I like a 16 guage shotgun with shot and/or slugs and a good .22 rifle, with or without scope...I tend to do better without the scope. Seem to be good basic guns for a homestead's needs.

Latest posts