Got a stove....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm interested in the perks of a summer kitchen... Is it just to keep the house temp down in warm climates?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's why they USED to have them! That was when everyone cooked on a wood cook stove, summer and winter. We did when I was growing up and our summer kitchen consisted of taking the plastic off the screens... ;) :lol:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
"I'm interested in the perks of a summer kitchen..."

Yep, not heating up the house in the summer is a prime reason. We've talked about adding one for a few years and it looks as though we'll finally get started on one in the not too distant future.

We ran across one a few years ago that was about 16x16 and had screened walls on three sides. The screen started about halfway up the walls, and had hinged panels to close the screened areas when the weather turned cold. The cook stove, sink, etc., were on the unscreened wall, leaving a large open space for tables.

The tables were used for canning preparation and for when the family would get together. We'd like to build something similar, but we have to see what our finances will allow. The way my luck runs, I'll end up with the BBQ pit under a dining fly and have to call that my summer kitchen.:cool:

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
That is one advantage to this room that I have...I can cut it completely off from the rest of the house. When the place was originally built in 1910, this room used to be a small out building that was just really close to the house, lol...they stored firewood, and later corn cobs in it and it was convenient not to have to trek across the yard and kept everything dry. Since the re-do, it has become an attached room. We tiled the floor, and the room is about 18' x 22', not counting the laundry part. Like I said, window on the east, and screened french doors on the west, which around here means constant airflow when both are open. We thought it would be a great summer kitchen, since its not really anything important at the moment.

It was either convert that room, or build me a kitchen...hehe, I think this is cheaper. :p

If anyone has any resources to share, or decorating ideas for a kitchen from 1940, feel free to share! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am no help on a 1940's kitchen :lol:

we are working on making ours an 1850's kitchen!

I found a woodburning cookstove that I want that has a water resevoir on the side for a constant supply of hot water. I so could use that!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If anyone has any resources to share, or decorating ideas for a kitchen from 1940, feel free to share!
I was trying to take my old home back to this general era also, so I stripped out the circa 70s kitchen of dark, cherry cabinets and stainless steel sink. I installed an old, double-drainboard porcelain sink cabinet, took down all overhead cabinets and installed open shelving.

I did a lot of other renos like tearing down a wall, installing a larger window over the sink and putting in a counter top made from the wormy chestnut I took out of the wall I tore down. I made a light fixture out of an antique porcelain colander for over the kitchen sink and put a plain board wall over the paneling, cottage style. Painted the walls and shelving antique white, the lower cabinets and sink cabinets a soft yellow and added some red accents here and there. Found an old wall clock to put up and decorated with my old utensils, colanders and collection of old pottery. Wanted a Felix clock real bad but never did get one!

Post some pics when you get it done.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
"I'm interested in the perks of a summer kitchen..."

Yep, not heating up the house in the summer is a prime reason. We've talked about adding one for a few years and it looks as though we'll finally get started on one in the not too distant future.

We ran across one a few years ago that was about 16x16 and had screened walls on three sides. The screen started about halfway up the walls, and had hinged panels to close the screened areas when the weather turned cold. The cook stove, sink, etc., were on the unscreened wall, leaving a large open space for tables.

The tables were used for canning preparation and for when the family would get together. We'd like to build something similar, but we have to see what our finances will allow. The way my luck runs, I'll end up with the BBQ pit under a dining fly and have to call that my summer kitchen.:cool:
This is exactly like I asked my dh to build me for a summer kitchen!! Although instead of tables I would do built in counters. And I want the grill on one side of it(outside of course) so that we can really utilize it well. I was thinking a fridge in it too. That way when we have cookouts we can take a lot of the stuff out there the day before or morning of & not have to be going back & forth from the house for everything. And when I am canning & stuff I can put everything out there until I am ready to use it. Of course I want it attached to a small poolhouse with a bathrm/changing rm(no tracking in in my house). So I would only have 2 sides screened. And I would add a ceiling fan as it gets over 100 here.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Beekissed, can you post pics? It sounds sooo cool!! *thinks she can steal a couple ideas from you*

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Beekissed, can you post pics? It sounds sooo cool!! *thinks she can steal a couple ideas from you*
Oh...sorry but I sold that house..that was the home I used to live in. I loved making it in to something that I loved and still keep the integrity of the house. I reused the wormy chestnut in the walls...it was beautiful! This old house had cypress siding and was built entirely of wormy chestnut in the interior walls. Huge planks! It was built in the 30s, so I wanted to return to that era if I could. Loved that house!

Wish now I had taken pics, but, when you are full into a renovation you don't often think of the befores and afters! :)