Got it free - whatever it is??

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been cooking & caramelizing onions, to freeze. Gifted a tuck load of close dated produce for the animals. 30# of sweet onions were a part -- already been skinned as these are restaurant packed. Some were shared with others, some chopped & in freezer, some cooked/caramelized, now cooling. Will freeze in ice cube size to use later in cooking. :) OK, I've been eating them as I worked. I could eat a plateful of fried ones. Wow, these are so good! Deglazing with sweet pineapple wine :drool Won't need to grow many onions this yr. Just greens.

Next, I need to blanch the rest of the broccoli, finish chopping these sweet red peppers.

The goats & chickens have been munching out on Romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, carrots, tortilla flats, etc. Sunny day & free food. It's all good. :D

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wood chips! I just got a big pile dumped on my farm this morning! :weee(now it's getting snowed on but so be it!)

Thanks to my friend who saw them doing tree work across the road from her. Plus she's hooked me up for potential future deliveries. Bless her!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to the local county extension office last week, and they told me that I could get free apple trees today for arbor day. Arbor Day isn't until Apr 27th so I was a little confused, but free is free. Our goal was to plant 5 more fruit trees this year, and 5 next year, then we'd be pretty much done. (I did some research, and they celebrate Arbor Day here the last full week of February.)
So I brought a friend who did not want any trees, but promised me hers. I was hoping for at least 2-4 trees.
Our goal here is to have bees next year, and within 5 years, have a productive orchard, berry bushes, nut trees, garden, with our own chickens, rabbits, tilapia, and pork. And LOTS of flowers and clover to support the many pollinators and bees.

God is soooo good!
:weee
Today I got FREE:
2 Braeburn apple trees
2 Arkansas Black apple trees
1 crabapple tree
4 pawpaw trees
4 redbud trees
1 chestnut tree
4 flowering plum trees
And several others that I forgot the name of but will plant anyway

And the apple trees were almost as tall as my shovel. No little twigs!! :yaWoohoo!!:weee
IMG_20180220_155933.jpg
IMG_20180220_155926.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've needed to go clothes shopping for quite a while. It's a chore I hate. But almost every shirt I have has paint or bleach or rips...
Anyway, my neighbors niece apparently doesn't have this problem. Apparently they clean their closets out every few months. And this week, my neighbor asked me if I knew anyone who could use any clothes before tgey hauled them off to a thrift store. I do love it when the clothes come right to me! :) I actually ended up with more for my husband than for myself, but have 5 large black trash bags of clothes to go through. And I was also able to help a lady at church too.
Then to top it off, before I left, my neighbors sister asked if I knew anyone who wanted a free breadmaker. It even has the instruction book and recipes. It has a new home on my kitchen counter. :)
tmp_12620-20180607_072853541823769.jpg

I might've already posted this, but I also recently picked free peaches:
tmp_12620-20180601_183630-1059801062.jpg

And got free compost:
tmp_12620-20180601_1336511650045561.jpg

Time to go build a fence using free pallets to plant a pollinators garden... :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great thread, Joel!!! Soooooooo many free things over the years and fond memories of them all, so I'll just start with recent things....like today.

Three free pallets, many bags of free leaves for winter coop and compost bedding, and three very large pumpkins....all of these recouped from the trash this day. Tomorrow we go to split some free oak firewood, given to us by my uncle....will be doing that the next two days. Next week I'll be going after more leaves in town, free for the taking and great for coop bedding, composting, for a great blanket to place at the feet of fruit trees.

I garner many, many free things each year by keeping my eyes open as I drive through town and also by reading the local ads...can get free chickens, free fruit, free wood, etc.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I qualify for the opposite end of this spectrum - I give things away all the time, lol. I once gave a way a boat and trailer! The boat motor didn't run...but the boat was in decent shape, and the trailer was immaculate. It was my ex's. He had a deadline to come get it and didn't so I got rid of it. Come to think of it - I gave away a lot of stuff after the divorce. :hide

Recently my DH and I decided to give his BMW motorcycle away - we gave it to my son! He loves us so much now, lol!

Latest posts