Got it free - whatever it is??

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, Joel, great thread!

OK I get free stuff ALL the time, and tend to also give stuff out freely too.

Just a few of the free things received in the last year: a LOT of wood, a washer, dryer, bedroom set, couch, chair, 3 quilt racks, 2 quilts, shelves, a coffee table, old computers (my 18 yo is pulling them apart and making them work), a rope hammock, a potty chair (for my granddaughter), clothes for the grandkids, a fake leather child sized recliner (needed some TLC), a rabbit, several chickens, two roosters, a cat, pizza tokens for free pizzas, a Canon DSLR camera, a hooked on phonics set, a big tablet with books and cassettes for my 5 yo granddaughter... Oh, I could go on and on...

We've had lots of stuff come here, and go out free again like my Pacifica to my son, clothes, wood, furniture...

I've never been able to GIVE away more than I receive... :)

Ps 13:6 "I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me." :weee

Edited to give credit where credit is due!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a lady putting dog houses by the road, I stopped and sympathized with her loss of her 16 y/o dog, whom she had to have put down due to bad health. I was the first person and was able to choose the full insulated dog house PLUS the heating pad for the dog. I didn't take a pic right then but THIS is the house.....same yellow color.....$185 & $55 heat pad! I was blessed! Now my old feral cat will be well housed all winter. At 18-20 y/o he deserves the luxury.

0085040900010_A

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/asl-solutions-dog-palace-insulated-dog-house/prod2380596.ip?

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, I'll post pics when I have a more cooperative phone... But, to sum it up... DH just finished the living area of my goat barn!

There was a building that was at a local racetrack, it was used primarily to prepare and serve food. The racetrack was sold and the building was scheduled to be put in a dumpster. Until DH talked to the person in charge. He managed to get whatever he could salvage from the building for free, and had help from the person tearing down the rest (with an excavator) to load the pieces on trucks and trailers. He basically split the building with a friend who helped.

We got the exterior walls, all the plywood, windows, a breaker box and all the wiring as well as the roofing. Also fans, a sink (that's going in our bathroom, which he's renovating also) and fluorescent lighting. Oh and the front door! After splitting materials, we how have a 15'x15' goat barn. That DH worked many, many hours on, but on which we spent $0.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here. And of course I usually see them when I'm in the small car, on the way to the doctor's office or something like that; by the time I can get back home and grab the truck, they're gone.

That's what I was afraid of...when I saw these I was in the car, so bright and early the next morning I hitched up the trailer to the truck and snagged my son, Eli, to help me if they were still there. They were!

They had been picked through pretty badly and some of the best ones were frozen solid to the pavement, but we were able to get a few nice ones all the same. And that large box thingy, which will convert easily to nesting boxes for my maternity ward.

We were skating on black ice to get these pallets, so we put down some pallet scraps to walk on for loading and walked VERY carefully. What a person will do for free stuff, huh? :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two anniversaries ago, I looked on Craigs List and saw FREE BARN CLEAN OUT. I guess you know where we went......When we got there, a lady had loaded up a chick brooder that I really wanted. My husband talked her out of it for $100. It is 3 sections plus a roller base. ONE section is over $250! Not really free, but darn near. At the same place we also got a sewing machine and case, pet carriers, an old double sink and a nest box.

IMG_0348.JPG

We got a bench with rotted wood, but the ends are still good! The rolls of wire in the back ground were a Craigs List find, about a fourth of the price if we bought them at the store.

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

The double sink and a pet carrier. The bathtub to the right was free also from a different scrounging trip. Lol

IMG_0350.JPG

The $100 brooder. NO MORE RAISING CHICKS IN THE HOUSE IN BOXES!

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, we've been clearing brush from the back of the property line. At some point, someone used that area as their trash pile. Now it's grown up in huge old wild grape vines, thorny brambles, scraggly trees and very old pine trees. The very thick layer of years of pine needles and leaves is a haven for snakes, many of them poisonous. So we started cleaning, and found many many old empty bottles that we will probably use for crafts, a clothesline pole that we put in at the end of our now pruned grapevines, and a BUNCH of construction cloth, which will become a rabbit cage. We pulled out a LOT of trash, but also lots of goodies, and we have a nice clean property line.
IMG_20180123_160608.jpg
IMG_20180123_160431.jpg
IMG_20180123_160617.jpg

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get TONS of free yarn -- mostly new and unused skeins -- from people who got the crafting bug to knit or crochet, got bored or frustrated with the process, and bagged it all to go in the back of the closet, where it sits unwanted and unremembered. All I do is put out the word, especially to people who have access to a bulletin board at work to ask for "unwanted yarn and projects."

Sure saves me a lot of money I'd otherwise have to spend at Michael's or Walmart.