Got it free - whatever it is??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today, we've been clearing brush from the back of the property line. At some point, someone used that area as their trash pile. Now it's grown up in huge old wild grape vines, thorny brambles, scraggly trees and very old pine trees. The very thick layer of years of pine needles and leaves is a haven for snakes, many of them poisonous. So we started cleaning, and found many many old empty bottles that we will probably use for crafts, a clothesline pole that we put in at the end of our now pruned grapevines, and a BUNCH of construction cloth, which will become a rabbit cage. We pulled out a LOT of trash, but also lots of goodies, and we have a nice clean property line. View attachment 5846 View attachment 5847 View attachment 5848

I LOVE that kind of trash...the kind you can use for something else! Great score on the pole and hardware wire. Excellent finds! Love the old bottles too...can think of several things to do with those.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's no way I could clean up everything here, it's 100+ years of families dumping stuff. But, nothing is a huge eyesore so I guess they've kept it under control pretty well.
There is the classic old car that you always seem to find in the woods of old farms, and a camper van. All sorts of other "goodies" sprinkled throughout.
We asked the previous owners to clean up what they could and I think they did a good job - I certainly wasn't expecting that they drag water troughs out from the middle of our hardwood forest.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been cooking & caramelizing onions, to freeze. Gifted a tuck load of close dated produce for the animals. 30# of sweet onions were a part -- already been skinned as these are restaurant packed. Some were shared with others, some chopped & in freezer, some cooked/caramelized, now cooling. Will freeze in ice cube size to use later in cooking. :) OK, I've been eating them as I worked. I could eat a plateful of fried ones. Wow, these are so good! Deglazing with sweet pineapple wine :drool Won't need to grow many onions this yr. Just greens.

Next, I need to blanch the rest of the broccoli, finish chopping these sweet red peppers.

The goats & chickens have been munching out on Romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, carrots, tortilla flats, etc. Sunny day & free food. It's all good. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There's no way I could clean up everything here, it's 100+ years of families dumping stuff. But, nothing is a huge eyesore so I guess they've kept it under control pretty well.
There is the classic old car that you always seem to find in the woods of old farms, and a camper van. All sorts of other "goodies" sprinkled throughout.
We asked the previous owners to clean up what they could and I think they did a good job - I certainly wasn't expecting that they drag water troughs out from the middle of our hardwood forest.

You can put an ad in the locals for folks who collect scrap metal and have all that hauled away for free and no effort if you want. We did that here some years ago and they picked that land as clean as a whistle of any metal scrap.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a couple of dead vans on our property in the old house. They made excellent rodent-proof grain storage once we had gone over them for holes

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I picked up some trash in the back here when I moved in, but nowhere near as much as some of you! It's a crappy, but rewarding job, especially when you find useful things.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can put an ad in the locals for folks who collect scrap metal and have all that hauled away for free and no effort if you want. We did that here some years ago and they picked that land as clean as a whistle of any metal scrap.

For sure! There a lots of people doing that around here. But it's not a huge concern; I'd like to see if there's anything salvageable in there! Maybe I can add that to the ever-growing summer job list lol

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wood chips! I just got a big pile dumped on my farm this morning! :weee(now it's getting snowed on but so be it!)

Thanks to my friend who saw them doing tree work across the road from her. Plus she's hooked me up for potential future deliveries. Bless her!