Got my mortgage statement in the mail today..

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why are you ticked off? You entered into an agreement to borrow money to buy a house. Yes, it would be great to not have any payments anymore, but you entered this agreement knowing that you were buying with someone else's money. It wasn't your money, and you couldn't have bought what you did without the loan. So, pay it off, and forget about it. How can you be angry that someone is sending you bills for payment on money that wasn't yours to begin with? We always paid extra on our house loan. And later, after refinacing to bring the payment down, we still paid the same monthly payment. We managed to pay off our 30 year loan in about 15 years. But it never occurred to us to complain about a loan that we had gone into with eyes open. You borrowed, you owe, and really have nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Why are you ticked off? You entered into an agreement to borrow money to buy a house. Yes, it would be great to not have any payments anymore, but you entered this agreement knowing that you were buying with someone else's money. It wasn't your money, and you couldn't have bought what you did without the loan. So, pay it off, and forget about it. How can you be angry that someone is sending you bills for payment on money that wasn't yours to begin with? We always paid extra on our house loan. And later, after refinacing to bring the payment down, we still paid the same monthly payment. We managed to pay off our 30 year loan in about 15 years. But it never occurred to us to complain about a loan that we had gone into with eyes open. You borrowed, you owe, and really have nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.
I don't read that the OP is complaining about the company sending the bill, just what the bill symbolizes in their life as far as being an anchor financially?
LOL your post reads like someone who works at a financial institution (that isn't a slam - I work at a HUGE financial institution - just seems familiar line of thinking)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AL said:
ORChick said:
I don't read that the OP is complaining about the company sending the bill, just what the bill symbolizes in their life as far as being an anchor financially?
LOL your post reads like someone who works at a financial institution (that isn't a slam - I work at a HUGE financial institution - just seems familiar line of thinking)
Sorry, no, I was a nurse in my working life. I dislike owing money, as does my DH, and, I imagine, most people here on SS. However, when I need to borrow money to realize a goal, I also realize that the money is a loan, and must be paid back, with interest. That is the way it works. We borrowed, we paid back. And now we are retired and dept free. Not impossible. And nothing to be angry about. Discouraged, yes. Often. It seemed sometimes that we would never get to where we wanted to be. But being ticked off for receiving a bill that we owed, and had entered the agreement to owe voluntarily, never entered our minds.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nah, the mortgage payment never truly got on my nerves.

I borrowed it to own a farm...lol...and yea I had to pay it off

fact of life mostly is you have to pay for everything you want in this lifetime.

Over those years I had the "can't wait to be able to spend this money" somewhere else and not on that darn long mortgage. Don't worry, you are hitting that payment hard and will be done soon. Remember too, you are very lucky you have the money to make that payment...right now people are losing their homes.

There are alot of anchors around our necks in this life...lol
just another to handle and move forward :p
but yea, no one likes a big bill coming every month regardless of what it is for! :p

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I would be angry - but just because we live in such a society and era that the average person must go through all this lingo and financial burden just to have their own house. It's crazy.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only thing that irritates me is that we aren't paying off as quick as we'd like because our dang taxes have skyrocketed. All of our taxes. Property, state, city.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome to my world. My property tax is 1% so if I happen to have a house that's nice and built in a good neighborhood it really works against me.

I am in the process of a Re FI. It started in July. Ugggg every week they call with more crap, roll in this debt, proof of this, proof of that. I just want it done.

When its over my mortgage will be my only debt. Huge but fixed. Then I will decide what to do with the other money. I really plan to build my cash reserves back up. Since in the last year we have spent everything, even my change jar. But the good thing is that even in this economy if my house sells it will pay off the mortgage with some extra left over.

Then I'll buy my farm. :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I would be angry - but just because we live in such a society and era that the average person must go through all this lingo and financial burden just to have their own house. It's crazy.
It's mostly because we have pretty elevated ideas of what constitutes a house worth owning. Can't have it both ways, both comfy-luxurious (e.g. large and central-heated) AND cheap ;)

The only thing that burns me is when, as a previous poster mentioned, companies get "cute" or financially irresponsible whilst carrying your mortgage.

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
beerman said:
Was doing good paying mine, put down $20,000 on a $86,000 house, tried to save some money did the Obama refi your house program with all their fees and crap I now owe $96,000 on a house I owed $66,000 a year ago. The kicker is it didn't save me a dime!!!!! My payment is actually more now then it was!!! But once you start it its to late to go back.
OFF TOPIC:

hey beerman! welcome over here.. feel free to start a thread on your pigs here. post pix - would love to see how they are doing
:)

BACK ON TOPIC:

dont drink the koolaid, BB! dont buy into the suckers lie that "the system" is the only way to go. you are smart and hard working - start getting your financial ducks in a row now to get your future paid off before you get there
;-)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
We sold a house that was paid off to move and buy this one- which is paid off except for the loan to build the barn which is held by the credit union that I have our accounts in. Hopefully by keeping the loan locally held there won't be any shenanegans!

There is no better feeling than retiring debt- now if I could just break my SO's habit of turning over cars and not paying them off.