Got my mortgage statement in the mail today..

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Merle, you could totally rock out with a yurt. :D

Merle, a yurt, some goats, a few chickens and some ducks, a fire in the fireplace...and OFG running around with an axe screaming wildly trying to kill varmints in trade for some goat's milk soap....
i'm so there! whooooot!!!!! look out varmints!!!! ahahahahahghghghgghhghghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gina: how can your property taxes be 1%? Our's used to be calc at 1.2% of purchase price and a couple of years ago went up to 1.23% of purchase price. I thought it was a CA rate, but maybe not...Maybe Northern CA and Southern CA are different.

Our property taxes here went down, due the economy and a county wide reassesement. Last year it was $9600, and this year the bill that just arrived came in at $8300. The lot we bought for $172K back in '04 in a development (0.23 acres), was reassessed at $82K, even tho we'd be luckly to unload it for 82K. Good thing that has no loan on it, but the taxes are $2300 a year.

Don't ever move to California......its too expensive out here....

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Don't ever move to California......its too expensive out here....
No kidding!

Last year it was $9600, and this year the bill that just arrived came in at $8300.
:ep

I'll never complain about my $800.00 a year, that's for sure!

And I have five acres! Of course, my home isn't a mansion, that's for sure, but I'm happy with it......and the taxes.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Why are you ticked off? You entered into an agreement to borrow money to buy a house. Yes, it would be great to not have any payments anymore, but you entered this agreement knowing that you were buying with someone else's money. It wasn't your money, and you couldn't have bought what you did without the loan. So, pay it off, and forget about it. How can you be angry that someone is sending you bills for payment on money that wasn't yours to begin with? We always paid extra on our house loan. And later, after refinacing to bring the payment down, we still paid the same monthly payment. We managed to pay off our 30 year loan in about 15 years. But it never occurred to us to complain about a loan that we had gone into with eyes open. You borrowed, you owe, and really have nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.
LOL! Seriously?! NOT complaining. But NOT complacent either. I want the thing paid off....yesterday. Doing everything I can to get there. I wasn't born into money, so I had to get a loan, it's the darn ridiculous interest rates and all the grief we get when the note holder sells out mid stream and we have new people to deal with at the drop of a hat that gets on my nerves. Let's face the facts, mortgage companies do not go out of their way to disclose everything to the person seeking the loan either. If you miss one little bit of fine print, the sharks start circling. It's just annoying, almost as annoying as your post. :rolleyes: I'm not stupid, nor do I like being treated as if I am. When lenders flip your loan to another and throw a wrench into an otherwise smoothly moving along business deal...it tends to tick me off a bit. Soooo yeah I have a right to get ticked off. REGARDLESS of signing those papers. The company I signed those papers with is no longer who I deal with...meaning the folks I am now paying ARE NOT the ones I borrowed money from. WHOLE new ballgame, new "policies" new aggravating paperwork, new customer service. And honestly the new company REEKS! I'm ready to pay it off...moreso than when we first got it.

ETA: Thankfully our land taxes are only $450 a year ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my taxes went up this year
:barnie

New Jersey is worst than CA
my grandmas house is on a postage size stamped yard with the neighbor's home literally in your lap.....taxes are $14,000 this year on a over 100 year old home--my aunt who owns the home now sure isn't happy with that lol

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
my taxes went up this year
:barnie

New Jersey is worst than CA
my grandmas house is on a postage size stamped yard with the neighbor's home literally in your lap.....taxes are $14,000 this year on a over 100 year old home--my aunt who owns the home now sure isn't happy with that lol
Over a thousand bucks a month in property taxes????

How can people afford to even own a home where the taxes are so high?

I complain (often!) about the rainy weather we get here in the Pacific Northwest but, holy moly!, I'll keep the rain.....and the lower property taxes!

I, too, pay extra on my house payment each month. Not as much as I would like - $175.00 extra - but I'm going to kick that up another $25.00 next month.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our property taxes are now up to 6k and climbing. Everybody needs our money. It has tripled in 5 years for us due to school levies and there's another one on the ballot in May :/

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought my taxes were bad in VT, when I was paying $2000/yr for my condo, compared to my little homestead :)D) here in NC. I pay $700/year, but we get NO services whatsoever. Well - I guess it pays for the sheriff's dept. But I agree with Cinebar - how can anyone afford to live in a place where just your property taxes are $1000/month??!!?? :idunno

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
how can anyone afford to live in a place where just your property taxes are $1000/month??!!?? :idunno
And, I would imagine rent in places like that would have to be high as well because landlords would have to get enough to pay the taxes on their property.

What the heck do poor people do when they can't afford either rent or a mortgage?

I'm poor by most (all?) standards but at least I have a roof over my head and a little piece of land.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ORChick said:
Why are you ticked off? You entered into an agreement to borrow money to buy a house. Yes, it would be great to not have any payments anymore, but you entered this agreement knowing that you were buying with someone else's money. It wasn't your money, and you couldn't have bought what you did without the loan. So, pay it off, and forget about it. How can you be angry that someone is sending you bills for payment on money that wasn't yours to begin with? We always paid extra on our house loan. And later, after refinacing to bring the payment down, we still paid the same monthly payment. We managed to pay off our 30 year loan in about 15 years. But it never occurred to us to complain about a loan that we had gone into with eyes open. You borrowed, you owe, and really have nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.
LOL! Seriously?! NOT complaining. But NOT complacent either. I want the thing paid off....yesterday. Doing everything I can to get there. I wasn't born into money, so I had to get a loan, it's the darn ridiculous interest rates and all the grief we get when the note holder sells out mid stream and we have new people to deal with at the drop of a hat that gets on my nerves. Let's face the facts, mortgage companies do not go out of their way to disclose everything to the person seeking the loan either. If you miss one little bit of fine print, the sharks start circling. It's just annoying, almost as annoying as your post. :rolleyes: I'm not stupid, nor do I like being treated as if I am. When lenders flip your loan to another and throw a wrench into an otherwise smoothly moving along business deal...it tends to tick me off a bit. Soooo yeah I have a right to get ticked off. REGARDLESS of signing those papers. The company I signed those papers with is no longer who I deal with...meaning the folks I am now paying ARE NOT the ones I borrowed money from. WHOLE new ballgame, new "policies" new aggravating paperwork, new customer service. And honestly the new company REEKS! I'm ready to pay it off...moreso than when we first got it.

ETA: Thankfully our land taxes are only $450 a year ;)
Have you considered a new mortgage with a firm you like better? Interest rates are still low, and you may be able to skip some of the closing costs. I know what you are taking about my morgage changed hands (either the bank was taken over or they 'sold the paper')5 times in the 9.9 years before I paid it off. Found out later that my habit of making extra payments were one of the reasons for the banks selling the paper, Extra work for them for less profit. What they really want is someone that keeps money in their bank (at low interest) and makes auto transfers from the account to the mortgage every month for 30 years.~gd