Got my mortgage statement in the mail today..

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So your home is the one up on the hill by a big highway....lol
there sure are many of them cause the highways go where they want...haha

no, the house is like 120 yrs old and super old and getting very cruddy

she would build new if needed.....but that sentiment just holds her there for some reason. I am not the "attached" to a house type person but she sure is that type.

She grew up very very poor and is the hoarder type now. house stuffed with "maybe" needed stuff and barns loaded with "whatever"

So for her to move would be monumental task actually so I think it is easier for her to stay put lol

We have 30 acres in another part of town across from her 14 acres, and I told her if we build there she should just build across from us to be near us and that didn't even sway her...lol...we like I say never set in stone

cool the highway was closed for 8 mos. that is a long time for a major road

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
cool the highway was closed for 8 mos. that is a long time for a major road
This highway is a favorite of the bikers - quite scenic. One of the first signs of spring for me is the bikers, singly and in large groups, cruising by.

When the road was closed, bikers would go by and a couple of minutes later I'd see them come back by. Either a lot of them can't read the "road closed" signs, don't pay attention, or don't believe the sings. :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
They tax CEMETERY PLOTS?!?!
:th
Only the empty ones! Many of the plots were bought by people that live or died elsewhere. Acts as a revenue stream and many are taken for unpaid taxes and resold, that is where the real money is.... Used to be that speculators would buy up land, declare that they were a cemetery which took the land off the tax rolls. When they found a buyer for another usage well there isn't anyone actually buried here so we can convert back and sell it.

A more recent scam is forming a non-profit, building more space than they could ever use and renting out the space to generate support for their group. Do you have any new Hospitals with the usual crowd of Doctor's offices around? Likely to have bought much more land then they needed (room to expand!) and then custom built offices for the doctors. They can rent these prime locations for big bucks and as long as the whole complex doesn't show a profit they are home free. A win-win for all concerned except other developments and the general taxpayers.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Early on with my hassle with the NC DOT I begged them to take my house! They wanted to just move the Highway right-of-way over the minimum required by law (15 foot setback for the back of a dwelling) That would have meant I would have had a 4 lane limited access Highway (65 mph) running right behind me with a tall bridge to get the highway over a railroad that already run behind my house (4 slow moving trains/day, 3 while I was at work and the last at 6 PM). My barns and outbuildings were going to be gone in any case. It was not the old family Homestead, I had no lifelong attachment to the place. I bought it for 2 reasons, very close to my place of Work and a nice quiet rural setting. Can you picture trying to sell or rent the place after they got finished with it. I talked with house movers and none of them would even look at it after I showed pictures and drawings of the house. My well and Septic System will be under the road way and that was the factor that forced The DOT to take the house. The local authories would not allow a house without water or sewer to be occuplied.
Of course I thought the DOT would follow State and Federal regulations that required full market value for property seized for the public good. As it stands now I still own most of the land that the house sits on but not the buildings. Can't rebuild, I can sell to a neighbor that wants more land or farm or forest it. I am thinking of donating it or just quit paying taxes and let the county take it for unpaid taxes. Bums me out everytime that I think about it.~gd

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ya know gd, youre story is what so many people need to hear. The state sucked and the banks sucked too. Neither are the "good guys" and waaaaay too many people swear that ill that falls upon people must always be their own fault.

It is simply not true. Life is NOT fair. Never has been, never will be. And I am cool with that. What gets my knickers in a not is people who sit on the top of the pile swearing that life IS fair and your problems are all of your own making.

I do not excuse laziness, nor do I excuse bad decisions. But, I also don't excuse fraud, misrepresentation and theft. Nor do I understand at what point our system started expecting caveat emptor to mean that the average person would know all there was to know about banking, credit card rates (impossible to decipher), cell phone contracts, and every other fandango.

When did the average consumer get a PhD, an MBA, AND a JD??? :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
On Our own said:
When it became convenient for the government to take our stuff, of course! :p :lol:

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
On Our own said:
When it became convenient for the government to take our stuff, of course! :p :lol:
I think you got this one backwards. It was when the big corporations convinced the government to let them off the hook. Free range thievery is what we got....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
On Our own said:
Wannabefree said:
On Our own said:
I think you got this one backwards. It was when the big corporations convinced the government to let them off the hook. Free range thievery is what we got....
Didn't take much convincing though ;) We got the shaft either way.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the military the term is BOHICA!!

Bend Over Here It Comes Again!