Goverment strikes again

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
why should taxpayers feed your kid? Some truly feel it is the parents responsibility or a family member should help etc. The parents should be held responsible obviously for taking care of their children to the level of providing breakfast. the taxpayers should not be feeding your children.
Exactly! LOL. I understand the actual fiscal theory (I do NOT believe the govvie cares about the kids) is a fed child will be a healthy adult and not as big a drain on money at that point.

UGH but I would never want a kid to go hungry for any reason at all.
Right again. It should be through personal donation. Lots of churches could do morning food for kids before school :)

The church next to my high school always had similar programs going. They had free daycare for parents still in high school so they could graduate.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Too bad people have this idea "The Government" is suppose to provide all their "needs". It would be so much better to see local communities handle the "needs" of their own communities.

I am a strong believer in charity, but, with close supervision, lest we cause people no longer feel the need to provide for themselves.

From time to time, everyone could use some help, but, better to come from those who know the current situation, and can really help the person/family to get back on their feet. In turn, that person/family would then be able to help others, rather than be constant drain on the community.

When we have generations, living on the "system", I'd say it needs some overhaul.

soapbox.gif

Churches/Synagogues using their tithe money to help feed the poor in their local communities is to fulfill what the Holy One had in mind as a welfare program. Plus it has promised benefits, if we will but put it into practice.

Malachi 3:9-11 9
You are cursed with a curse,
For you have robbed Me,
Even this whole nation.
10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,
Says the L_RD of hosts,

If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,
So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground,
Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,
Says the L_RD of hosts;

Another system is "workfare" where the poor are allowed to "glean" in the fields. In fact a alloted portion of the fields was to be for this purpose.

Leviticus 19:9-10
9 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not wholly reap the corners of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 And you shall not glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather every grape of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the stranger: I am the L_RD your G_d.

Deuteronomy 24:20-22 (New King James Version)
20 When you beat your olive trees, you shall not go over the boughs again; it shall be for the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow. 21 When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not glean it afterward; it shall be for the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow.

umm.gif
I wonder, would Monsanto, ADM or ConAgra agree to such an arrangement?

Tomatothrownewsmall.gif

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I have to admit, I actually liked the church's program.

If you had a child and were in school, and if you made it to all your classes and I maintained a b average?, I think...they would do free day care for you.

So it was a really good deal for the kids, but didn't let them hand the kid off on someone and goof off.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm thinking that of all the dumb crap my tax dollars go to support feeding a hungry kid breakfast is one of the things I'm not going to mind too much. A fed child is ready to learn, an educated child is less likely to be a criminal or on welfare, and an educated adult with a job will pay taxes and return the favor for the next generation. It's a win, win in my book.
Everyone always sites that churches should be the ones to help. Aside from the fact that I and many others don't like the idea of having to be proselytized to in order to receive help the donations TO churches are way down in this economy and they can't help many people right now when people need it the most.
I don't think the government should be the beginning and end of all help available for people who are in need but when it comes to the welfare of our country's children keeping them healthy to become productive members of society rather than another drain on our economy only makes good long term sense.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Two of my 3 grandchildren get free breakfasts and lunches at preschool and school. Their parents are full time students, receive food stamps, get AFDC, pay their rent on time, pay their car payments on time (used cars), and both work part time at their respective colleges/university to help with the rent and electricity and gas.

I'm happy to contribute my taxes to help people who help themselves.

What I'm not happy about is that 40% of government expenditures today go to paying only the interest portion of the $14 trillion our nation has borrowed. So 40% of our tax dollars to pay interest payments? China lent us $1 trillion. The Fed Reserve lent us the rest.....

So who cares that some children get meals - its a micro spit in the bucket, compared to what the Fed Reserve (private bankers) are gleaning off of us American taxpayers.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
<snip> Their parents are full time students <snip>
This only MY response and I do not expect anyone here to either agree with me or to disagree with me. I'm just an old man and therefore I must not know what I'm talking about.

My opinion of the above quote is that these two parents are extremely foolish. Do they think that BOTH of them being full time students is a responsible thing to do? Who has the responsibility of bringing home some income? Do they really expect the government or the community to pay their way.

I'm fairly sure that they do not attend school 24 hr. a day. So both could get jobs so they are not a drain on the "system".

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I was reminded while reading this thread, of certain happenings in New Orleans.
People that should have been fully capable of having the commonsense to take care of themselves by evacuating, being properly prepared, whatever.... waiting around for others to do it for them.
And then when everything flooded as predicted, blaming the government for being caught in the mess.

Each of us, as long as we are physically capable, are responsible to do what is needed to take care of our own and those in real need.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with Boggity on this

just because they want to go to school and choose at this time NOT to make an income to support their kids, WHY SHOULD I? WHY should I pay for their children to eat when they are perfectly capable of doing this themselves?

but again, I am on the fence because truly there are children that require meals and they are going hungry due to abuse at home or some other horrible situation and school is one of the best places to be sure a child might get a meal......again I say UGH

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
murphysranch said:
<snip> Their parents are full time students <snip>
This only MY response and I do not expect anyone here to either agree with me or to disagree with me. I'm just an old man and therefore I must not know what I'm talking about.

My opinion of the above quote is that these two parents are extremely foolish. Do they think that BOTH of them being full time students is a responsible thing to do? Who has the responsibility of bringing home some income? Do they really expect the government or the community to pay their way.

I'm fairly sure that they do not attend school 24 hr. a day. So both could get jobs so they are not a drain on the "system".
Well, let's see. I guess they could both be working at Mickey D's making minimum wage and barely keeping their heads above water and paying no taxes or they could be going to school, 'draining the system' so that they can one day get great jobs and pay major taxes that will pay what they use many times over. I don't know seems like a no-brainer to me. Yes, I'll agree that bringing children into the scenario was probably not a well thought out decision but it's done now and again they're going to pay it back again and again and again. You aren't ever going to get me to believe that a good education isn't a great investment to make in any of our children especially now when our country's children rank lower than many, many countries in the education department.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
education is a great investment even tho how many times nowadays you hear of people drowning in that wonderful college debt they can't pay off and can't get a job with enough income in their field to survive and pay that school debt? just a darn delminia actually.

but one parent could be working and one in school. or jobs after school.

for all that money they might make after school and put back into the system for others, well, heck they used it up anyway sucking out of the system...so it is a wash to me lol

I don't know lol it is just crazy how the money flows in this country and other countries for that matter.