Goverment strikes again

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, y'know my Mother is SO proud of the fact that she never asked anybody for anything and certainly never got anything from the government. Know what I remember from my childhood? Going to bed hungry, working for hot lunches in the cafeteria and having kids make fun of me because we were the poor kids who had to work for our meals and I had two outfits to wear to school during the year and by golly they'd better last me the whole year or I'd have one outfit to wear every single day. Any wonder why I started working to bring money into the house when I was 13? Big deal, some of us should ask for help if we need it and pay into the system our whole lives.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I believe in choice. I should be able to choose who I help. I think having both parents go to school is irresponsible. You take turns. True, they could make more after school, but you had kids. You made a choice. Live with it and stop expecting other people to pay for your choices. YOU chose to get naked and make babies. That does not mean through NO CHOICE I should support you.

I know what is like to be poor. I support a local church that gives away food and clothing. And by support I mean hundreds of loaves of bread PER MONTH. Also a clothing drive. I see how this particular church spends their money. I know how they distribute food. I see who they help. The government DOES NOT HAVE the local accountability. It drains off a huge percentage of the money it collects in the name of the poor. If it were a charity, it would be ranked DEAD LAST on CharityGuide.org.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
That's why the gov doesn't depend on charities to help out the poor. All that picking and choosing lets a lot of kids starve.

I guess they could just turn the whole welfare system over to church groups. Each family that needs welfare could have a volunteer do gooder assigned to that family. Then the church could monitor all the families activities. make sure they don't drink or smoke a little reefer. Be sure they only watch G rated movies. Don't have internet or a TV that works. No soda or anything that people with a good job might have.

That's the ticket.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My daughter has made many mistakes in her short 24 years. Homeless for 1.5 years, crack addict, got straight all by herself, accidentally got preg, got a full time job while going to community college.

In the meantime, her old boyfriend from High school, raised his son by himself while putting himself thru Arizona State Univ in child development. He has 10K left on his school loan.

They reconnected. Whoops - here comes another one, but in the meantime my daughter grad from community college with straight A's; accepted into Wash State University Vancouver, still has straight A's; has her entire education paid for by grants, scholarships, etc. Not a dime for her to spend except for books. $19K for an out of state student this year. Will be less for her senior year, cus she will have established residency up there.

Her husband, once they moved up to WA, got a job as a teachers aide. Paid less than unemployment would have given him from his job in San Jose. He quits, gets a full scholarship to attend Portland State Univ in audiology. They both work part time at their respective schools. She goes to school days; he goes to school nights.

No daycare. My grandaughter is in a subsidized preschool, where due to their low income, she gets two meals a day. His son is in 3rd grade, and gets two meals a day. Baby stays home with whomever is home. He's never had a drop of formula, but now is eating solid food.

I have not supported my daughter since she left home one month after grad from high school. She blew it. But she is making up for it now. She WILL be going on for her Master's degree, and when she's done, she hopes to get a terrific job. After he is done in 2 years, his employment oppty exponentially expands.

Per Farmerlor, they will be more than paying back what we, the tax payers, have contributed to them to get thru school, to be able to contribute to our nation when they are finished. I've been working and paying taxes since 10th grade, thru highschool, university, grad school, and onward. 41 years of paying. I'm proud to have helped those people who need help and don't abuse the system.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I like hearing success stories. Tell them congrats. Sounds like you were there for moral support.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Each of us, as long as we are physically capable, are responsible to do what is needed to take care of our own and those in real need.
:thumbsup

There is nothing that will make me lose every ounce of respect for you faster than saying you have no choice. Everything that has happened to me has been through my choice. I don't expect help and I don't offer help blindly.

I've had people I've fully supported because they were making good choices and just needed a hand. I've tossed an 8 month pregnant girl on the streets for not helping pull her share in our apartment. :hu

Success stories are inspiring because they are so rare. Most people I know who are getting fed money could be helping themselves a lot more than they do, but there is no incentive.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
All that picking and choosing lets a lot of kids starve.
Last time I checked that was called child abuse. So without the gvnmt people would be starving their children to death all over the place? Seriously?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sure, Auntie. They've done studies that show people cut food for their kids before cutting cable TV.

So if the govvie didn't protect the children, who would? :rolleyes:

Would they really have to advertise "don't shake your baby" CONSTANTLY if people out there wanted their kids to live. Children are an inconvenience.

If the govvie didn't feed them, we wouldn't have ANY robot soldiers.

:D

I want my minion army. Feed those small children and factory create their minds in public schools. *beams*

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yes. Minion factories. That must be the REAL purpose of public school :gig

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yes. Minion factories. That must be the REAL purpose of public school :gig
LOL! I believe that's EXACTLY what public schools are for as seen by the changes Texas schools have made to curricula and it's happening here too. Man, I don't want to start homeschooling again. LOL!