government:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, If this should not be posted here or not be posted at all, please feel free to remove it.

I would like to ask a question to all of you. out there. This is not meant as being inflammatory. Nor am I trying to hurt anyones feelings. Just an honest question requireing thoughtful answers. Each of us reads the answer above and responds with an answer of thier own. We should only elaborate a LITTLE on our answer. Please try not to repeat answers. Ok, here is the question:

If you could help turn this country around what would that one thing be?
I'll start
I would like to see NO special interest groups.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would like (that is, I think it would put the country and economy and all that on much MUCH sounder footing) to see people learn to distinguish true needs from mere wants, and live squarely within their means rather than trying to buy every new tasty lazymaking fun sparkly object that crosses their path courtesy of Madison Avenue and the manufacturing industry.

I know it's not a gov't thing, but honestly I don't think gov't is the real solution to most of our problems, although in a perfect world it would *help*.

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Put much more money and priority into education and healthcare, things that would help develop our young and old into healthy people, rather than hemorrhaging money into war and the Department of Defense.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I rather than trying to buy every new tasty lazymaking fun sparkly object that crosses their path courtesy of Madison Avenue and the manufacturing industry.
LMBO... this made me crack up! Well said Pat! That's funny and true!

I'd like to see more money put into early childhood problems/issues. They keep taking away, and then the prison populations will be growing. (no evidence to this that I know of, just my opinion) Not all young children are blessed to have a good start in life, and need alot of help. Children who have boosts of help have an easier time with school, which leads them to better opportunities in life. Again, this is just my opinion, and that's just one of 'em!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know much about the government...it really makes my head hurt to even hear about it. My opinions may seem like an over-simplification for the problems that exist.

I would like to see America concentrate more on themselves for a little while and stay out of the foreign affairs until they can clean up their own doorstep. How can you expect the citizens to budget and stay out of debt, when our government cannot? How can we control illegal immigration when our troops are in another country? How can we develop alternative energy in our own country, if we are fighting over energy sources in another. In effect, I would like to see America get on the self-sufficiency bandwagon and start developing her own ample resources, bartering our food for other's fuel, saving money..starting with the national budget. I would like to see less emphasis on how wealthy our citizens can become and more interest in how we can provide for ourselves, and our neighbors, so well that we don't need to depend on foreign resources.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I would like to see America concentrate more on themselves for a little while and stay out of the foreign affairs until they can clean up their own doorstep. How can you expect the citizens to budget and stay out of debt, when our government cannot?
Well said beekissed. Charity begins at home. Lets take care of America 1st. I don't think America needs to police the world. I am not saying we shouldn't help other people and countries. What I am saying is lets get our own country straightened out before we try and take care of everyone else. I don't see them running to America's aid when we have a disaster. Are they coming to our aid to help out with Hurricane Ike devastation? If I am wrong please feel free to correct me.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would like to see people being more open-minded about others. I think if we could see an end to racism, sexism, etc., we would be much further along the path to peace.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I don't see them running to America's aid when we have a disaster. Are they coming to our aid to help out with Hurricane Ike devastation? If I am wrong please feel free to correct me.
We were offered lots of foreign aid after 9-11 and Katrina, but I don't know whether we accepted it or not... Maybe somebody else knows?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would like to see civility put back in to "civil discourse". The 2 major parties that represent us in Washington are unable to be civil to each other. If they cannot be civil to each other, how can they get together and use the best ideas from each side to help solve the multitude of problems we now face? Each side has to stop needing to be the "winner" no matter what the cost in each discussion and start putting our nation first. If they don't do this soon, we will all loose.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Beekissed took my answer.

Not to repeat, or make anyone mad, but I think we are much better defending our land, and helping ourselves when we are healthy and happy. Help our homeless Vets., our young people, the poor, the sick. Invest our money in our OWN country, and not a half a dozen others. Once we get our own act together, we are better equipted to help others.