Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

Americanpatriot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Mark Twain for MO, I really don't know... But it's beautiful country in the Mark Twain. My son and I hiked from Greer crossing, along the river up to McCormick lake. If I recall correctly, it was like 600 feet up along switch back. No cell phone service at all the whole time we were up there. I didn't pack in any water, used my life straw when we came across a brook or stream.

It was the longest 3.6 miles I ever hiked in my life. Bear scat on the trail about every 15 minutes. You could smell the bears but couldn't see them or hear them. The entire trail, I found one empty zip lock sandwich baggie. I picked it up and stuffed it into my pack. It ain't like that trail is used often or maintained. Numerous wind fall trees we had to climb over or go around. Steep Cliff on one side, hill on the other climb over.

We pitched tent at McCormick Lake, we were awaken by the sound of a mountain lion outside the tent. Scarred the crap out of me.

When we pitched tent we got a pan of water out of the lake and boiled it and added water purification tablet. So I could have coffee first thing in the morning. It froze solid overnight, lol. So much for coffee first thing in the morning. But it's something I'll never forget...

If you go, pack in a .45 in a chest holster, if anything you'll feel more secure that you can protect yourself. if a bear should get frisky. Like I said we smelt them and saw their scat, but could see them or hear them. I know they were watching us the whole time, we could sense it.

If I had my way, that's where we would be living but happy wife, happy life.
Wow! That sounds like quite the experience. I have thankfully never had a run-in with bear but I used to live in Oregon and when my dad and I were elk hunting, We ran across some cougar scat. Ha! Yeah. That would scare the crap out of anyone! Thank goodness you didn't have a face-off with it. They can be pretty aggressive when they want to be. Around here, where I live, just a couple weeks ago, this lady had to call the department of fish and wildlife cause she had a cat on her front porch. No fear of her in any way. Another gal I know had the same thing happened except it attacked her dog. Almost killed it but put some nice teeth marks in her skull. Surprisingly, she lived. They are getter braver. Stay in the mountains where you belong you dang cougars!

Hiking is the best but putting survival skills to the test is a lot of fun too. Packing is always a good idea is you go into the mountains of the "wilderness" of any kind. If I ever make it back to Missouri, I might have to check that place out.

haha! happy wife happy life!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A friend of mine was out cougar hunting in Wyoming. After hiking for the day and seeing nothing, they turned back to where the truck was parked. They got back to the trail they took out and saw that their tracks from the morning had mountain lion tracks on top of theirs. He said the hair on the back of his neck was standing straight up when he realized that the prey was tracking them, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine was out cougar hunting in Wyoming. After hiking for the day and seeing nothing, they turned back to where the truck was parked. They got back to the trail they took out and saw that their tracks from the morning had mountain lion tracks on top of theirs. He said the hair on the back of his neck was standing straight up when he realized that the prey was tracking them, lol.

Spooky... I can some what related. I failed to mention that when we ventured outside of the tent and stoked the fire at the crack of dawn. my son walked up to the head of the lake, to see if he could get cell phone service. Only to find fresh bear scat, still warm. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the black bears were watching our every move along that 3.6 mile hike. We decided he would hike the road to go and get my truck, instead of hiking back through the Ozark Trail.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Offer includes leaving all building materials and the zero turn mower. We'll see what becomes of it all. If it's God's will, then it will all fall into place.

Most all the building materials were already there inside the guest house/apartment/thingy to finish it. Just needs a guy to pick up the pieces and put it together and a wife's touch to make it nice.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we put in a offer (signed contract) on the property. Offer includes leaving all building materials and the zero turn mower. I guess we'll see shortly if it's accepted or not. My wife is pretty excited about the whole thing. If accepted we will close June 30th. My wife said the real estate agent wanted to know if we wanted a home inspection? I said why waste the money, anything that's wrong, I'll fix anyways...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unless you are paying cash, home inspections and surveys are required by any lender. It only makes sense. And a title search too.

So we have you thinking on raising your own meat? LOL