Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't even go inside but wife did. She said talking about living small... That place is tiny...

I still don't know what the real property line looks like. the real estate agent gave me this. But I walked half of the fence line with her grandson about 5 acres, and picture didn't nowhere match the fence line. The rest of the 5 acres is mature hardwoods, with a creek flowing through it. I didn't feel like getting muddy crossing the creek, so we didn't walk that part. But there was lots of nice standing timber in there. The place is in the country, it was quiet which I really liked. Depending on the real property lines, there was plenty of mature timber to build a timber frame. But we decided it's a no go... So still looking.
IMG_20200418_130007.jpg

The barbed wire fence lines looked more like this to me though. Would need survey to be sure where the real property lines are.
IMG_20200418_130916.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Next is 1500sqft/16 wooded acres, within the Shawnee National Forest.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Couldn't touch that for double the price up here. Potential, lots of potential. Now is the time to be buying, if you've got the money to do so without going into debt. I would not take on a dime of debt now, given these uncertain times.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Couldn't touch that for double the price up here. Potential, lots of potential. Now is the time to be buying, if you've got the money to do so without going into debt. I would not take on a dime of debt now, given these uncertain times.

Herod is very rural, an unincorporated community in Pope County, Illinois, Herod is located at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest.

Mainly older aged folks

The main reason I'm looking for wooded acreage is because of my sawmill. One of my friends in NC had a large building stacked with hardwood lumber he sawed over the years. All the lumber came off his 10 acre lot. I was in that building a few times. He had it stacked to the brim with hardwood lumber.

If I recall correctly he only had 4 species in there. Red oak, soft maple (red), cherry and black walnut. The building was one of the steel buildings and climate controlled. He was offered $1,500,000.00 for it. But this was 10 years ago. He sold it in April 2018 for $2,750,000.00. The company that bought the lumber, tore down the steel building in order to get to the lumber.

If I can find the right property with enough mature hardwoods I could work on a nice little nest egg for the wife and I.

Lumber is a commodity, look here at the mountain chart for construction lumber SPF (Spruce/Pine/Fir).

Hardwood lumber goes for ALOT more! Here are prices from 2014 for rough sawn, kiln dried hardwood lumber, for the eastern states. I used to keep up with the prices when I had my small lumber business in NC and would base my prices off distribution yard prices. I suspect the prices are a lot higher now.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Could you make a go of it as a rental property? A bit more risky... but... if you had the funds to get it rolling, it might, could, work.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife and I went for a country drive yesterday. She kept pointing out barns. Then she had me stop and look at a real old one. She asked me what is that barn saying to you? Well a long time ago it was probably someone's livelyhood. But now it's saying "HELP ME". She said that's exactly what I thought you would say. She knows me all to well.

Next...

20 acres, pond, creek, year built 1920, 4 bed, 2 bath, 2,876 sqft. Read the description. I can't tell if there's a full finshed house and the start of another one, or... But looks like two barns but can't be sure.

Rough property line, the upper part of the red outline follows a creek.
IMG_20200428_202741.jpg

Zoom in of what they have cleared around the house(s) / barn(s)??? Hippies???
Screenshot_2020-04-28-20-31-30.png

Got an appointment next Saturday.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like one ready to move into house, a barn with horse stalls, and an outbuilding that is being upgraded to a rental unit.