Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meanwhile we are still receiving mail from the previous owner that goes back in the mail box daily. And we have to check FedEx and UPS deliveries and reject them. Just yesterday, I caught UPS trying to deliver another package for the previous owner.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely wonderful for you but a TOTAL CRIME to tear down such a barn. What I wouldn't give to have a barn like that on a piece of property.... as would so many on BYH would love to have something like that. There is alot less damage on that one than on so many here.... makes a farmer like me cry....
Can you imagine the tonnage of loose hay that was stored in that barn????? and the number of small sq bales that it could hold with that high gambrel roof? and the care and consideration that went into building it?

Makes me sad also honestly. I was told by my neighbor who grew up in our house. That the barn was wooden up until the mid 60's when they tinned it. He said it's been there as long as he could remember. Such a shame that it's in the shape it's in from neglect. But it's not mine or you all know I would have rescued it. I sure wasn't going to at least ask if I could have the tin. I would have loved to have been able to get more tin but you can only get so high with a ladder and I didn't have time to rent a man lift.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
More "man cave" stuff Rural King had a Rudy special on 4' shop lights. These things are strong, 5500 lumens with color of 5000K, which is basically white but only consumes 50 watts or less than 1/2 amp at 110 volts. Thats less than a 60 watt lightbulb. So I bought 10 of them.

Now how to hang them??? I came up with a quick recessed frame made out of some 2x4-10 that I had laying around. I haven't used my tablesaw in a long time but the math came back to me real quick. Basically the frames were made with the fence set at 1 1/2 and 1/4 inches and adjustment of the blade height. Easy smeazy plus they look pretty good recessed into the ceiling. 8 of these bad boys, lights up the 23 x 27 multi-purpose room in "the man cave"

Three construction screws hold the frame to a ceiling ceiling joist and the light floats in the frame held by gravity. I wired each light to have it's own recipical so if one dies it's easy to push it up into the ceiling unplug it and replace with a new one.
Screenshot_20200910-011934.png

Light on
Screenshot_20200910-012809.png

With wiring (14 guage) recipicals, switch, boxes, frame the lumber and a little brain power, I have a very lightly lit huge room for about 20.00 a fixture. You can't beat that with a stick. Plus they will be easy on the electric bill. I consider it a win.

Light and frame. I highly recommend these rural King lights. But wait until they go on sale, it's even a better deal.
Screenshot_20200910-013606.png

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also tore out the walls that we're for a kitchenette and bathroom. Wired one of the 27 foot walls for our chest freezer, a 7' countertop, an electric stove, another 7' countertop, a upright freezer and a refrigerator. Once completed it should be all we need to have family dinners and holidays in the multi-purpose room.
IMG_20200910_014245757.jpg

I also switched all the wiring to underground feeders wires did away with the old fuse box and started wiring all my branch circuits into the new 200 amp breaker box, much safer now.
IMG_20200910_014305702.jpg

All the branch circuits are home run to the main panel box. And dedicated branch circuits for lights and recipiticals. Each freezer and refrigerator are also dedicated circuits. This is the way I was taught to wire. The wiring in the pannel box is pretty tidy also. I think my old college professor, would give me an A for this wiring job.
IMG_20200910_020208343.jpg

There's still a ton left to do, but it's going to have to wait until building materials come down in price. No way I'm paying stupid high prices for what I need to finish it, with a OSB plywood ceiling and drywall for the walls. The lumber is not a problem, since I own a sawmill and woodshop :)

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I need a sheet of 3/4" plywood for an outdoor project. It will be painted, but it will sit outside. It is for a solar dehydrator, so I don't want green treated. What would you suggest?

I would ask my husband, but I am not in the mood to listen to another one of his lectures about CCX, CDX, AA/BB, etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I need a sheet of 3/4" plywood for an outdoor project. It will be painted, but it will sit outside. It is for a solar dehydrator, so I don't want green treated. What would you suggest?

I would ask my husband, but I am not in the mood to listen to another one of his lectures about CCX, CDX, AA/BB, etc.

I would suggest, Green Pressure Treated Ground Contact CCX Plywood Sheathing. But since your opposed to treated. There really is no good plywood options available anymore. They all will rot away after a couple of years.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What about marine grade plywood? does that have chemicals that could be toxic on food?

I suppose I could house wrap the dehydrator and side it to match the barn, lol. Then I could use just a regular plywood sheathing, right?

I am worried about the green treat because it will have food inside it and the chemicals may vaporize when it gets warm in there and get on the food as it dries.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about marine grade plywood? does that have chemicals that could be toxic on food?

I suppose I could house wrap the dehydrator and side it to match the barn, lol. Then I could use just a regular plywood sheathing, right?

I am worried about the green treat because it will have food inside it and the chemicals may vaporize when it gets warm in there and get on the food as it dries.

Oh food grade... Why not just a sheet of laminate then. Like what counter tops are made of?

I was going to mention when talking plywood the X means exterior, like CDX the C and D are grades for the two faces. So CDX has a one better side than the other, C being the better side. But even though it's glued together with exterior rated glue. The wood it'self will still deteriorate when exposed to the outdoor elements.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Score on the tin, too bad that beautiful old barn is being town down. I love to collect reject lumber and used tin. Free is great!