Grapes-How to

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience starting grapes from cuttings? I think that I might be able to get about 10-15 cuttings in the next week or so. I read that I can put them in a dirt flat (or in the ground, but that won't work here, lol) and put them back outside until spring. Anyone have any experience, advice, dos and don'ts? Tips on transplanting?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what variety is it? some will not survive unless grafted to native root stock.

if by chance they are a native variety then you can stick cuttings in the ground with enough nodes in the damp soil. keep them covered if it is warm so that they won't dry out and some of them should root. located in a shady spot that gets indirect light until you see new buds come out then gradually move out into where they will get more light to adapt them.

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
what variety is it? some will not survive unless grafted to native root stock.

if by chance they are a native variety then you can stick cuttings in the ground with enough nodes in the damp soil. keep them covered if it is warm so that they won't dry out and some of them should root. located in a shady spot that gets indirect light until you see new buds come out then gradually move out into where they will get more light to adapt them.
They will be concord grapes, my sister has them at her house and I would get them from her

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They will be concord grapes, my sister has them at her house and I would get them from her
I would guess those would need to be grafted onto a hardier root stock.

You can try it out... but the roots will probably be more susceptible to mold, fungal diseases etc.

With grapes (and apples, and pears, etc) they breed one variety for super hearty roots... but it has unimpressive fruit... and they grow a DIFFERENT variety for wonderful fruit. Then they splice the 2 kinds together!

So.... if you have great soil, with low chance of rot, fungus, whatever other root horrors..... the concord cutting, on its own roots, might work fine.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

did she start the plant from a cutting herself? i ask because sometimes they can be grafted onto other rootstock. i'm guessing that it may not really matter but it can sometimes be worth it spending some $ on an known quality grape vine instead of just guessing because you're going to be putting work into growing and pruning them. if instead you're willing to take the risk you can give it a shot and consider it a learning experience. :)

i think for your zone a Concord vine should survive.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd try a plastic bag with grow medium and moisture. Tie bag near top and wait for roots. 🤔 never tried or researched. Just sounds reasonable. Works for figs. 😁

that sounds like air layering and yes it can work when the vine is actively growing but with the trimmings happening soon that's not the case. during the growing season one way with certain varieties to get a new vine started is to just let a vine hit the ground cover it with a bit of dirt over some nodes and pin it down a bit with a stick or small rock, give it some time and it will usually root.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
did she start the plant from a cutting herself? i ask because sometimes they can be grafted onto other rootstock. i'm guessing that it may not really matter but it can sometimes be worth it spending some $ on an known quality grape vine instead of just guessing because you're going to be putting work into growing and pruning them. if instead you're willing to take the risk you can give it a shot and consider it a learning experience. :)

i think for your zone a Concord vine should survive.
She did not plant cuttings, she bought vines from a nursery.