Green Burial

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know that this is not a popular subject; however, we all have to figure out what to do with our earth suit after we are through with it.

With that in mind, do any of you know anything about a Green Burial? I have heard about this and read a little bit only to know that it requires no embalming, a simple pine box, and burial within 2 or 3 days of the death. The cost is minimal compared to the traditional funeral.

If you do a search on the Net, you can find some information. As far as I have been able to tell, the real problem is to have a cemetery that will allow it.

Again, I know that this is not a popular subject, and I hope none of us are in need of such services for a long time; however, we are not going to get out of this world alive.

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My dh and I had once thought of being buried 'green' but it would require being 'excepted' at a graveyard. and it still takes space. So, we decided to be cremated and sprinkled where we want to be (on our farm). It doesn't take any space and no one has to say it's ok... After we leave the crematory --who knows what happens to that little box and a few ashes!

My parents decided to be buried on top of each other.. When my dad died they buried him at nine feet, when mom died they buried her 6ft. deep.

One of my siblings almost had a heart attack.. but National Cementery has almost run out of space. Both my parents were against cremation so this seemed like a better idea, to them..

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I know a lady...her mom was creamated and then she put her in a plastic container and then buried her in her flower garden!! When she moves she plans on digging her up and taking her with her!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was in on a cremation burial one time. We have a little country cemetery just down the road. This lady wanted her husband, Bob, cremated and buried there. She also wanted to have a grave that looked like a full sized casket had been buried. In order to save money she asked if I and another fellow would do the digging by hand. The cemetery board consisted of an elderly gentleman who had us measure where the lot was so we could dig the grave. He was there to make sure we got it right. After the ceremony was all finished and the grave filled in, we found out that Bob was buried in the wrong plot. He and his wife's plots were about 10 feet south. So my grave digging buddy and I had to go back a few days later, dig a new grave, dig up Bob's urn, and move him about 10 feet south. We did it in the day time, and I'm glad nobody stopped and asked us what we were doing.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good idea with the Green Burial. I sure won't mind either.

Haha your name is freaky..Tallman was the evil villain from the B horror movie series Phantasm. He took bodies from cemeteries and reanimated them. :ep

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
While in the Navy we did A LOT of burials at sea of cremains, it is still a very popular choice.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have a friend that has noted in her will that she wants her body donated for medical student cadaver study. She was told the bodies are usually creamated afterwards.

edited for spelling

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
My wife has strict orders as to how I want to go out.
First, I want them to scrap out any of my parts that anyone else can use.
Secondly, I want to be cremated.
Then, I want her to sprinkle a little bit me at the local race track and around my yard and garden.
Load some of my ashes into shotgun shells and take me trap shooting one last time.
Sprinkle a little bit of me in Lake Erie, and little more at Pleasant Hill Lake.
edited to remove crass reference - we're adults here, but we can't allow lewdness

:gig :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig :gig

I'm so bad........ :gig

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here in Az you do not have to be embalmed or even have a casket to be buried in. The trick is they bury you deeper I think @ 8ft instead of 6. I found all this out when dmil was planning her funeral & it was in the pamphlets. She was creamated in 07 as was dsfil in 97 & per her request we scattered their ashes on our property up north exactly where she wanted them spread, near their dog that died up there. We joked once upon a time that she waould be spread where I was putting in my garden up so she could help me fertilize it & still help me out even from the great beyond. Her youngest dd thought we were sick to joke about it & said she would never eat anything from that property if I brought it to her.
We are planning to put up a headstone for them where we spread the ashes. All we have to do is notify the county that there is no bodies there. But I would like to get a permit for a family cemetary for that spot & dh & I be buried there together.

Edited to add: I forgot i am an organ donor, so before anything is done they harvest everything they can use.