Greenhouse VS Rootcellar

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cellar....sssoooooooo many uses for a cellar! I wouldn't want to live without my root cellar! :) The storage capabilities are endless, I can set my trash in there until trash day and it doesn't look or smell bad and collects no flies, its cool and refreshing in the summer. I can sprout grains in there if needed, and I can keep chickens in the cool and dark until butchering time the next morning...all trussed up and ready for action.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'd have to pick whichever my climate and site were best for -- which is going to vary wildly. On our property here it'd have to be greenhouse as a rootcellar would only be useful for fish-farming :p

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How about a rootcellar with an earthen roof with a greenhouse on top????

I am going for rootcellar first, since it will cost little for me to build, maybe nothing, as I have a door and a corner of the cellar that I've been using already (needs more temp control for more serious veggie storage.)

I would love to have a greenhouse but can't justify the start-up expense, and living in a suburban neighborhood with 75' wide lots (we have four acres in the back, but the 75' wide part is 243' long!) I can't throw together a salvaged-window one, unless I hide it way in back. Not yet, maybe one day.

Maybe coldframes next year to get a jump on the season.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I like Freemotion's idea :) I'm going to assume that we're working with existing circumstances. I already have a pretty decent cellar, so I would go with the greenhouse, for sure! If I didn't, I would still go with a greenhouse. A lot of vegetables can be heavily mulched and stored outside or for a while in the garage, but I really can't grow anything here in the winter without something along the lines of a greenhouse. Mmmmmm....Salad greens from my garden in January...

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't get the reason for the question?? Seriously. They're both for very different uses. I would never consider one over the other. I want both.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm curious because I would like both, we have the perfect places for both, but we can't afford both.

I'm leaning towards the root cellar just for practical reasons, but a green house would be cheaper.

I want to know what reasons you would have for choosing one over the other. Just trying to make sure I take everything into consideration before I make a decision. :D

...And who better to ask than the people here?!!