Greenhouse VS Rootcellar

jacca5

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
There was already a root cellar here when we moved here. We just this year built a green house and I love it. I already have tons of stuff in it and we have only had it about 3 weeks. We scavenged most of ever thing it took to build it so it only cost us $30 to build.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought I had replied earlier to this!
We've decided to do a green house.
I have seen the link on MEN and have put some thought into just scavaging something to make due. Seems like it would be better to build a GH myself rather then buy it and have to improve it. So I'm reading up more on how they work and are built (with all the reading I'm doing these days, it's a good thing I enjoy it!)

The challenge then becomes how to heat it in the winter. I want to do this as naturally as possible and not have to pay the electric company to do this for me. The objective for us being fresh veggies in the winter and having a place to start out seeds for the spring planting season.

Jacca5, do you live in VA? Wanting to know if they are good to use in my area.

Having a place for my DD to "camp out" is a great idea!

She's a bug hater (I am too) and won't think about camping out in the backyard!

jacca5

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I live in Kentucky. We started seeds in the green house about 3 weeks ago and we were going to put in a heat source but I got excited about planting so we didn't. Everything has grown wonderfully with no extra source of heat. If you would like to see pics of the green house or how the plants are growing I can do that.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry Jacca5. I meant your root cellar. LOL

I'm sorry. I should have been clear. (I'm blushing)

I would still like to see your green house with all your plants started. I would LOVE to see that!

StoneBridge Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have an old root cellar. I do not use it just yet.. but I will. I need to read up on them. However... I agree both are so necessary..at least for what we do. I just bought a green house and we are in the process of installing it. it is used but we got SUCH a great deal!!!!! Plus, we have the room.... 23X100 with the heaterand fan...and groundcover, and everything! $1,000. Can you believe it???? I could not pass it up. I figured I wouldn't use all of it for some time, however... who could turn that down? So my suggestion is... do the work yourself... start the root cellar, and search Craigslist, newspapers, whatever for a used one! Here is a link to ours..:thumbsup

http://selfsufficientlife.blogspot.com/search/label/GreenHouse

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not many people have cellars here where I am, in fact I can't think of one person I know with a cellar. We don't call them root cellars here, am I correct in thinking they are called that because root vegies such as carrots and parships are stored in there?

I did have a green house and propagated most of my garden in there and pulled it down when we had the boys to make way for a play fort for them. Now I have a small hothouse to sprout my vegie seeds.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, mainly for storing things that will keep, under the right conditions, through the long and snowy winter. Apples, hard-skinned squashes, onions, root veggies and such. Cheese in mine now, aging. It is too warm now, though, so I need to move the cheeses to the fridge until I can get a second one that I can set to 45 or 50 degrees.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When you guys talk degrees, you mean farenheight not celcius?? Otherwise I'm thinking you will melt in your cellar!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol: Yes, F, not C, although sometimes one of our Canadian members posts in Celcius and confuses the heck out of us Americans!