Greenhouses anyone?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone else has greenhouses for the winter?
I've got 4 of various sizes. Anyone else growing veggies indoors this winter?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope but I will be watching. We do plan to build one... Someday... But I don't know how far into winter it would actually work for us up here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't really need a green house here . But, I'd LOVE a screen house. I might actually get to harvest a tomato if I could keep the stinkin' stink bugs off of 'em...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a greenhouse, but it is not set up yet. To do so, I have to take down a fence that I am still using, cut a few trees, take out the stumps and machete hack out a snarl of green briars. So it's not on my #1 list...... but I found a good deal on it and snagged it. it is a high tunnel type, maybe 30-40 feet long and got it on Craigslist for $50.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nope but I will be watching. We do plan to build one... Someday... But I don't know how far into winter it would actually work for us up here.

You may enjoy reading books by Eliot Coleman, he of the four season harvest fame. He lives in Maine and does organic gardening all year round. Here's a vid of his....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank I'll look him up and watch the video when I have "real" internet!

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one...I keep exotic or tropical plants in it for the winter. There is a furnace and auto watering system. In the summer most of the plants go outside into the gardens or on patios.

night view
greenhouse4.jpg

Day view
greenhouse5.jpg

It is 15X26. We cover itt with 2 layers of plastic to hold in some of the heat. It is now running for 30 years. We love it. In the past we had a table and chairs in there and had brunches with friends....fun days...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool our town library has that one. I'm going there tomorrow anyway, I'll have to grab it!