Greenhouses anyone?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Calista, when I went to the link, it talked about a couple from Alaska who built this greenhouse. It seems like the tin would lose heat quickly? Calista, have you used yours yet? I'm wondering how well it retains heat? I easily have the wood to build this frame. When you built yours, did you add any vents? Just wondering... :)

Here in North Alabama, it's not uncommon to be in the high 60's-70's in the daytime, and freeze at night.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice greenhouse Calista! I like it, have you used it yet?

Yes, we used it as a season extender last year and got respectable yields (what was left after the critters had their way with us, lol). I putter around in there with my houseplants, too.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@Calista, when I went to the link, it talked about a couple from Alaska who built this greenhouse. It seems like the tin would lose heat quickly? Calista, have you used yours yet? I'm wondering how well it retains heat? I easily have the wood to build this frame. When you built yours, did you add any vents? Just wondering... :)

Here in North Alabama, it's not uncommon to be in the high 60's-70's in the daytime, and freeze at night.

We put hay bales around it to try straw bale gardening so didn't notice any heat loss, but you make a good point. Maybe contact Ana White at the website and ask her about it?

And yes, our carpenter friend added vents for cross ventilation. It's usually so mild here, I end up opening the door a lot while I work, which kind of defeats the purpose, I know.

It is a nice design and we like it a lot.