Grow My Own Hull Less Oats! GRAIN pg6!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Looks nice! I was thinking of this the other day and wondering where I could try it! Maybe next year between my rows of spears. That way, hopefully they'd be done B4 the spears were ready.
Spears? :hu

Baymule, your oats look great!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Denim Deb said:
Looks nice! I was thinking of this the other day and wondering where I could try it! Maybe next year between my rows of spears. That way, hopefully they'd be done B4 the spears were ready.

Asparagus. We call them spears around here. Sorry. :cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Marianne said:
Denim Deb said:

Asparagus. We call them spears around here. Sorry. :cool:
I could have furrowed my forehead in deep thought and never equated spears with asparagus! :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And lots of times we'll talk about farmers growing pickles instead of cucumbers. :lol:

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
I took a picture yesterday of the oat patch. They have really grown and should be blooming/setting seed soon. The oats on the side of the road that TX-DOT planted last year (and grew, reseeded and came back up this year) have green oats on them, so mine can't be far behind.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/2536_oats_growing.jpg
One of the reasons I like seeing your posts is because I'm so close to your growing region. If it grows in your area, it should work in mine! This is so cool! I can't wait to hear about the continuing progress!

Jill

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Be careful where you plant them. I put them between my rows of beans and they grew so fast my beans were too shaded.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
And lots of times we'll talk about farmers growing pickles instead of cucumbers. :lol:
:lol::lol::lol: I have a neighbor that calls any kind of oil, lard or shortening= lard. I always have to ask which one she means.
The other one is "red beans". Here, there are bags of red beans that are labeled "red beans". Where she's from, red beans are pinto beans. More confusion on my part. LOL

A rose by any other name.... :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
baymule said:
I took a picture yesterday of the oat patch. They have really grown and should be blooming/setting seed soon. The oats on the side of the road that TX-DOT planted last year (and grew, reseeded and came back up this year) have green oats on them, so mine can't be far behind.

One of the reasons I like seeing your posts is because I'm so close to your growing region. If it grows in your area, it should work in mine! This is so cool! I can't wait to hear about the continuing progress!

Jill
I have been experimenting on a few things to see what does and doesn't work. I have such limited space! If I had your big yard I .............. would probably still want more............ :lol: But it would give more room for my mad scientist garden goofies!

What are you planting this spring? If it grows in your garden, it'll grow in mine!! :clap

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
txcanoegirl said:
baymule said:

Jill
I have been experimenting on a few things to see what does and doesn't work. I have such limited space! If I had your big yard I .............. would probably still want more............ :lol: But it would give more room for my mad scientist garden goofies!

What are you planting this spring? If it grows in your garden, it'll grow in mine!! :clap
Our garden won't be very large this year because we're trying to put some of our time towards working on the house. We currently have only broccoli, cabbage, collards, onions, potatoes, tomatoes and carrots planted. He may have set the peppers out too, but I'm not sure. Eggplant will go in the garden as soon as the temps stay above 50. He has set up the trellis for the butterbeans. I don't know what else he is planting. That little cold snap of the last two days surprised us. We got the 5 new pomegranate trees in the ground, as well as the 2nd mulberry tree. The avocado tree is still in the pot on my front porch, but the planting site is ready for it. Dewberries will be ready to pick in a week or two, I think. Blackberries after that. Grapes are leafing out. Citrus all in bloom, but we're still picking the flowers off so the trees will be stronger. This will be the last year we have to do that. I'm saving the blooms for teas. Mayhaws are all still green, but I'm working on an easier system for harvesting by devising a catch net to go below the trees so I don't have to scrabble around on the ground like a demented squirrel.

Are you still happy with your grain mill?
Jill