Grow My Own Hull Less Oats! GRAIN pg6!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Txcanoegirl, it sounds like you have a good garden going, plus all the nut and fruit trees! I would suggest one more thing that would be practically care free and easy to grow. Sweet potatoes! Last year I sprouted some from the store and sprigged the beds I planted new potatoes in after I dug them. The sweet potatoes vined like mad, thrived in the heat and gave me a nice return on very little time and investment. I have several sweet potatoes in the toothpick/water/bowl right now sprouting vines for me to plant when the new potatoes are done. This is my post from last year on the sweet potatoes.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33974

Yes! Yes! I love my grain mill!! I mill flour and freeze what I don't immediately use. I have been experimenting with whole wheat versus mixed with store bought white flour. So far, 100% whole wheat is pretty heavy, still playing with it. Absolutely get a grain mill! I am growing Damon Morgan's Kentucky Butcher corn for the purpose of making cornmeal with it. Cross your fingers for me! If it goes ok, I'll share seed with you!

I am eyeballing some dewberry bushes on the side of the road, :drool I would love to have Mayhaws too! I haven't made Mayhaw jelly in a 'coon's age!! :lol:

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have long been interested in grinding my own flours. I've done a little with pecan flour by adding it to other flour when making bread. I'll be keeping up with your progress on this. Thanks for the seed offer!

Sweet potatoes are so good for you. We grew them a couple of years ago. I forget why we haven't planted them again. I just read your thread on them. I like your gardening style!

One of our regular potato harvests was so good that I canned enough to last for two years! I can't remember the variety right off hand, but it was one of the red potatoes.

We desperately need to get some mayhaws planted on our property. The two mayhaws we "have" are actually on my mother's adjoining land. She's 91 and we won't have access to them when she's gone. I like the jelly, but have a renewed interest in them because of the heart healty benefits of hawthorn. The leaves, flowers and haws from all varieties of hawthorn, including mayhaw are beneficial. I'd rather have the mayhaw juice than jelly, and I canned a good portion of it last year. Very tart...this is a fruit that definitely needs some sweetening. I usually just added a jar of juice to a pitcher of tea.

I've been foraging young, tender leaves from the dewberries and blackberries. Those also make good tea.

Really off topic here, but what I'm really interested in is another post you did a while back about the old man in your area who makes the black salve with bloodroot. I would love to get some of that. I know no one here who does anything like that.

Jill

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well as long as we are off topic, let's dive off all the way in the ditch! :lol: I bought the little jar of bloodroot salve through a friend of mine, whose uncle is a homeopathic healer. It was $60, I will see if she can get me another one. The old man that lives here locally guards his recipe and uses his knowledge to heal people.

If you get some mayhaw plants, can I buy a couple of them from you?

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
Well as long as we are off topic, let's dive off all the way in the ditch! :lol: I bought the little jar of bloodroot salve through a friend of mine, whose uncle is a homeopathic healer. It was $60, I will see if she can get me another one. The old man that lives here locally guards his recipe and uses his knowledge to heal people.

If you get some mayhaw plants, can I buy a couple of them from you?
I've been known to drive off into a ditch before! :lol:

I didn't go to the Houston Arboretum's plant sale a few weeks ago, but I think they had mayhaws for sale. They had some other things for sale that I want, but I didn't know about the sale until the night before! I will probably try to propogate the mayhaws from my mother's trees. If I can actually get them propagated, I don't mind giving you a couple, or trading for some other plants!

As for the black salve, are you talking about two different people, or is the uncle of a friend the same person as the local old man? I never expected him to divulge his recipe, but will he sell the salve to one person for someone else? Or sell it through the mail? I would love to try it on some of the little skin things the dermatologist kind of ignores with a "wait-and-see" attitude.

I remembered your posts when the topic of black salve came up around our kitchen table the other day. My mother was talking about my great-great-aunt Annie's husband, who was a Dr. Laidacker. They lived in Nome, TX. I think he must have been practicing in the late 1890's through the 20's and 30's. He was a medical doctor, but did a lot of herbal healing, but some people called him a quack. My daddy, as a little boy, used to go into the wood to gather certain plants for him. My mother mentioned that one of Dr. Laidacker's "specialties" was a "Black Salve" that he used for skin conditions. His office furnishings were donated to Heritage Village in Woodville, where they are on display as an old-time doctor's office. I can remember when they were still in his office at the abandoned homestead where they had lived.

Jill

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, they are two different people. My friend's uncle fled the country in the 80's to avoid being arrested by the feds. He went to Mexico and set up a chelation clinic where he CURED people of cancer. If it is not radiation and chemo, then it is illegal. :he My friend was given 6 months to live after the doctors got through with her (lung cancer) but her uncle cured her, the tumor died, shrunk and is now completely gone. Let's see........oh wait! That was 3 years ago and she is not DEAD!! He used chelation therapy (IV) with hydrogen peroxide, magnesium, manganese and several other ingredients. He is back, retired, but keeps a LOW profile.

There are black salve recipes found on the web, but any that really work are taken down quickly. The inert recipes are allowed to stay. Meanwhile, cancer can be cured if you know someone who knows someone who knows someone........

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's interesting and not the first time I have heard of that kind of therapy for cancer. Drives me nuts how people have died, healers have been imprisoned, remedies squashed, all in the name of money.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the oat patch. They have grown tall, about 3 1/2 feet now. But still no oats yet! :he They also blow down in hard rain and wind and I stand them back up several times a day for several days until they straighten back up. Waiting on oats to appear..........how long do they take anyway?? There are oats growing on the side of the road, planted by TxDOT, where they widened the road and THEY have oats! They are also short, like about a foot and a half high.

2536_oats_three_feet_tall.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm still watching this. I'm still not sure if oats will grow here with how wet we get. What I'm really curious about is how they taste and cook.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is the biggest difference is that your oats get watered regularly and maybe have some fertile soil vs the TxDOT just sit there and do their thing? Maybe some neglect would have been in order?

I guess I'm thinking of all the farm fields around here that have oats on them. They get fertlized once (maybe) and then nothing is done until harvest.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Is the biggest difference is that your oats get watered regularly and maybe have some fertile soil vs the TxDOT just sit there and do their thing? Maybe some neglect would have been in order?
I think it is the difference in varieties. The oats spread by road crews are probably a commercial type that doesn't grow very tall. More modern grain types are bred to be shorter to help keep them from falling flat in a storm. (or at least that is what I have read when I was studying different types of grains) The hull less oats are probably an older variety. Or at least that would be my guess...... :idunno

I keep watching them......... if you stare at dirt, does it make plants grow any faster?? :lol:

You have mentioned using oat straw tea. I did some reading on that and it seems to be all over the place. Some cut the green leaves and stems, some use the dried golden stalks after the harvest and then some say to cut the tops when the oats are in the green milky stage before they dry. :he REALLY????

I don't want to cut the grain when it is green, I want the grain! I have a flaker attachment for my Family Grain mill and I want to make oatmeal. If oat tea is made with green leaves, I could steal a few-maybe they wouldn't notice. :/ Using the straw after the oats are harvested would make sense to me, but when has what makes sense to me ever been right? :gig So, you seem to be the residing oat straw tea expert here, so give us the benefit of your oat tea wisdom!